Display driver stopped responding and has recovered?

MandoPatriot

Had this error happen twice. Once when I was playing Fallout: New Vegas and once again while just browsing the web and watching a music video on YouTube. Specs are in my signature, and I am using Nvidia Drivers 280.26 (latest). Haven't tried using any other drivers, second time just happened few minutes ago.

Screen freezes for like 3-4 seconds then comes back and I get the error that the Windows Display kernel stopped working or some sort. Temps are good, even while gaming. While watching the video the video card temps were like 34* Celcius.

Any idea's?

Did you run a driver cleaner for your old drivers before installing the new card/drivers? Also, sometimes it isn't a bad idea to manually delete your registry, and I seem to remember having to do that once with a "driver stopped responding" problem on my GTX 460's.

Roll back your drivers to the previous version. This one has issues with my girlfriend's GTX 460 1GB, and sometimes my GTX 570's in SLI will semi-crash... or you can adjust your voltages to offset the crashes, which means less effective overclocks. It's just a bad driver version from Nvidia, imo.

New rig guys, just put it together this past Thursday. No other drivers were installed and none to roll back to...

I created a new QWORD registry for the TdrDelay and set the time to 8 because normal time is 2 seconds. That may do the trick or it may just be a band-aid. Will see if it happens again.

Last time this happened to me my card was overclocked to high. My first card started dying after these messages started appearing.

Same here last time I had this happening I had clocked my card to 1010Mhz core clock and it failed in benchmarks with the error: display driver stopped working blagh blagh....

Worked fine in games and could just pass furmark some of the time. Tbh if i could get a few more millivolts it would be stable benhing.

Disable your OC and try playing again.

this bothered me also with my MSI GTX560-Ti Twin Frozr II OC edition running at factory clock speeds with the latest drivers installed(280.26)

observed it twice i think at different occasions; first after just booting up my PC and the last while i was just simply browsing.

and thanked that it didnt show up again since.

Edited by sword_fish

Rollback, I mean uninstall and install previous version of drivers.

:withstupid:

I had issues with 280.26 as well - one game kept randomly failing saying it couldn't generate D3D (Direct 3D) and crash on boot up so I went to the NVIDIA website and looked up their Archived Drivers.

Assuming you are using Windows 7-64bit, this the driver I am currently using:

or if you don't mind Beta:

:withstupid:

I had issues with 280.26 as well - one game kept randomly failing saying it couldn't generate D3D (Direct 3D) and crash on boot up so I went to the NVIDIA website and looked up their Archived Drivers.

Assuming you are using Windows 7-64bit, this the driver I am currently using:

or if you don't mind Beta:

I will check those out if I have it happen again. FNV crashed on me again today, but it does that occasionally when I alt+tab. The driver issue did not come up either. So far the only changes are the TdrDelay registry and moving my clocks to stock. I will be doing OCCT testing to see if it really was my clocks, because I only had 800core/1600shader/2000memory on the card.