Recommend a laptop WIFI card? should I add mSATA?

potatochobit

I am so sick of this

can't tell if windows 8.1 drivers are horrible or if this card is just bad or dying

anyway, I am done with this so i completely removed the wifi card and installed windows 10

so now I need a new card

any recommendations for a good laptop wifi card?

preferably one that also has bluetooth

this is half-height

and I only see two wires, can't find a third one

since the laptop is open what should I also add mSATA to the bottom?

what else could I need in there?

IMG_7847_zpsxwr0xxar.jpg

This is the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Combo Adapter I put in mine. It only needs two wires, I don't know why you're looking for a third.

I have my own review on there, too, so you can see the results.

mSATA would be the only thing you could put in that slot from the looks of it. You could get a x1 to x16 PCIE adapter for an external graphics card. :P

a third wire lets you use a three stream network card

supposedly it is better, I don't know the details

I saw that card but not sure how it is different than this model  Intel Network 7260.HMWG

maybe it's the dual band?

this is an acer laptop and alot of people say they get good results with broadcom so I guess I need to research a little more since some people seem to have compatibility problems

This is the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Combo Adapter I put in mine. It only needs two wires, I don't know why you're looking for a third.

I have my own review on there, too, so you can see the results.

mSATA would be the only thing you could put in that slot from the looks of it. You could get a x1 to x16 PCIE adapter for an external graphics card. :P

+1 I love my 7260, I got mine a little bit cheaper than that with some patience of ebay. Kinda pissed I didn't jump on one I saw for $15 Buy it now but that went FAST. Way better wireless card than my old single band 2230 (as you know fellow 15R SE user)

a third wire lets you use a three stream network card

supposedly it is better, I don't know the details

I saw that card but not sure how it is different than this model  Intel Network 7260.HMWG

maybe it's the dual band?

this is an acer laptop and alot of people say they get good results with broadcom so I guess I need to research a little more since some people seem to have compatibility problems

Nah if it's the AC model then it's good no matter what, they have a 7260 Wireless N derivative with a shittier "BN" SKU that's single band, but the "AN" SKU of that has dual band. As far as I know, all the 7260ACs are dual band.

Idk what broadcom they'd mean, I only looked up Intels that were dual band (the main reason I was upgrading) and 802.11ac.

It's pretty common knowledge that the Broadcom AC wireless stuff will perform better real world most of the time, However that's almost entirely due to most of the high end AC routers that can take advantage of AC speeds are using Broadcom chips.  If next gen other brands take the lead in routers that could easily change up.  

So something like this would be the equal of the Intel 7260. I've got the older version of the 7260 in both my Sager and my fiancee's Dell 15R (have to take the damn thing's motherboard 90% out to get to the slot) and neither have the compatibility issues some people have mentioned and both get very solid data rates to my Netgear Nighthawk (Broadcom based) at home.  They've also worked great as far as range.

I considered getting the card I linked above to try out in my laptop as it's a 1 min install just to see if it's any better, but I really don't see the point when I have no issues with what it came with. Kinda wish I had to better advise you now though :lol:

As for the mSATA SSD...If you can find a good deal, why not, otherwise depending on usage a SATA SSD MIGHT be the better route for you (write speeds on mSATA SSDs tend to be underwhelming especially on cheaper options like the two Crucial M500s in mine)