I Joined the SSD crowd

NCC10281982B

Yesterday I finally got fed up win my rig being slow and ditch the WD800HLFS I have been using in this rig. So I busted over to computerstop and bought a Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 512 SATA 6 0 gb Solid State Drive for about about $30. OPEN BOX. I LOVE HOW FAST IT IS. The only problem was , because the unit was open box it did not include a mounting kit. D'oh I had wanted to use the heatsink like thing from the old drive for that purpose.

That would have been whitetrashrepairs.com worthy.

But, of course The drive is attached the the HS with 

Torx screws. The one drive bit I ether don't have or can't find.

tumblr_mea6wpHxMT1rlibozo1_400.gif

So back to the store for the kit.

That was fun :-D

I really hope they drop in price right now it's just not worth the upgrade for me.

Or if someone wants to trade a 3tb hdd for one :P

Here's a Kingston HyperX 240GB for $160

Still not worth it to me, only way I'd get one is through a trade. I'd rather buy a 1tb SSHD.

I still want to try an SSHD but can't currently find a use for one in any of my machines (all SSD here) but I suppose if the drive in my HTPC croaks (it's the oldest of any of them) than I'd consider trying one there since I wouldn't mind the extra storage space (even though the 120GB, which I upgraded from a 64GB drive before has been just fine)

My desktop doesn't need the extra space because it has 3.5TB (total) storage plugged into it at all times, so the 240GB OS SSD drive is plenty for my needs while having the fastest setup.

My laptop would be interesting to have an SSHD for the added space but 240GB is also serving me quite  comfortably, not to mention I imagine the SSHD coming from an SSD will negatively impact my battery life.

I really hope they drop in price right now it's just not worth the upgrade for me.

Or if someone wants to trade a 3tb hdd for one :P

Here's a Kingston HyperX 240GB for $160

Still not worth it to me, only way I'd get one is through a trade. I'd rather buy a 1tb SSHD.

Stay where you are, the only thing that happens when you go SSD.....you can't go back  :teehee:

Yeah I paid over $200 for my first 120GB SSD and now I've got 7 of them in various systems I use/members of my family use.  My old Studio 15 Dell is the last PC that I regularly use that has only a mechanical HDD and it drives me nuts with the slow speed. I just might put my old Vertex II in it now that I've got another SSD in its old home.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I paid over $200 for my first 120GB SSD and now I've got 7 of them in various systems I use/members of my family use.  My old Studio 15 Dell is the last PC that I regularly use that has only a mechanical HDD and it drives me nuts with the slow speed. I just might put my old Vertex II in it now that I've got another SSD in its old home.  

Dude l paid $400 for 2 60GB when the first came out. So everything now is so much cheaper that makes me what to smack myself.

• 1 month later...

Dude l paid $400 for 2 60GB when the first came out. So everything now is so much cheaper that makes me what to smack myself.

But Its people like you that buy them early on so that people like me can buy them later cheaper.