Dedicated Physx card worth it?

Laststop

As an example say you have GTX 980 and you are playing a physx game like that batman game on a 2560x1600 monitor full ultra details and full AA and of course full physx enabled. What kind of performance increase would you see,if any, using a less powerful gpu dedicated towards the physx? I have seen some people say that the newer nvidia cards already have hardware in them dedicated for physx and getting another gpu for it is a total waste and you get the same performance with a dedicated physx gpu or not. Is that true? If having a dedicated physx card will allow the main gpu to get better performance how cheap of a card can you get for physx calculations? Is the 750 ti too much overkill? What's the cheapest card you should get for dedicated physx if it actually increases performance even with newer cards like the gtx 980?

I'm a total noob with dedicated physx so someone with a lot of knowledge that can share the ins and outs with me on here would be appreciated.

See now I see a site showing the difference between titan with a dedicated physx and without and with it definitely made a big difference like 28% difference. How powerful of a card do you need to run flawless physx and fully take it off the main gpu? Some people say a gt 240 is plenty some say a gt 430 is plenty and some people say they use a gtx 460. I do like the GTX 750ti since it doesn't need any pci-e power connectors. What is the perfect dedicated physx card and how much better will it run physx enabled games? They used a GTX 650 for the dedicated physx card in the comparison I saw with the titans. So maybe the 750ti would be perfect? I can get a single slot width 750ti that only needs power from the pci-e slot so this would be perfect for a dedicated physx card as far as those factors are considered. Can someone give me guidance before I just buy a 750ti.

now this site http://www.volnapc.com/all-posts/how-much-difference-does-a-dedicated-physx-card-make is showing that the physx is so demanding in batman that a gtx 650 is actually not powerful enough to help the titan out and actually makes things worse but when they take one of the titan gpus off sli duty and change it to physx duty its actually performing better than the titans in sli. Yes you read that correctly 1 titan gpu + a titan gpu for physx performs better than titans in sli + a gtx 650 for physx. Does this mean I may need something as powerful as a gtx 670 or gtx 770 for the highest demanding physx games to get the max benefit from it? They basically say the advanced physx in batman means your physx card cant be as large of a gap as the titan is to the gtx 650. So I'm thinking if you have a gtx 980 you may need a gtx 670 or even a gtx 770 or 680 so the gap isn't super large and the boost from the dedicated physx card is fully maxed out for games with more advanced physx effects. I really need an experts advice on this.

After further reading on the site above in an update the guy said that replacing the 650 with a 650ti was enough to get the boost of a dedicated physx card back for the most demanding physx title batman. So it would seem that the 650ti is the slowest card you can use next to a high end gpu for the demanding physx of batman. Since a 750ti is faster than a 650ti it would seem the 750ti would actually be the best choice for a physx card and can currently handle all the physx being done so far. In the future who knows but for now it would seem the 750ti is just enough to handle even the most demanding physx and should be enough for the foreseeable future. This is just from my nooby observations reading some tests done. Still would like to know what some other experienced people have to say about it. But I am leaning towards running a single gtx 980 + GTX 750ti for dedicated physx.

Edited by Laststop

I hear it brings more trouble than it is worth, but i cannot confirm this myself.

No trouble at all. I've been doing it for a couple of years.

I don't think you need one any more, newer cards are so much more powerful that they can handle the PhysX with ease.

Definitely don't "need" one, especially if you have two cards in SLI. However, with just one card, it does help quite a bit. Although, if you're playing on a 60Hz monitor, you probably won't notice a difference.

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/using-maxwells-gtx-750-ti-dedicated-physx-card/3/

mainchart-fnl.jpg

I'd only run a dedicated card again for the simple fact that I have an AMD card and can't without a piggy back lol

If I had a strong solo nvidia, than it'd stay that way :)

I feel like the investment in the physx card could be better spent on just having an all-around stronger card...one that'd help with performance on everything, not just gimmiX. :lol: Though if you've maxed out your single/dual card performance and have money to burn, it can't "hurt" I guess.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I hear it brings more trouble than it is worth, but i cannot confirm this myself.

I have heard from a few people they got problems with drivers when they stick in a 8800gt card as a physx card with a 6xx and above / any ATI or AMD cards.

Of course i haven't tested this out by myself so this statement could be complete bogus to the experts :P

I have heard from a few people they got problems with drivers when they stick in a 8800gt card as a physx card with a 6xx and above / any ATI or AMD cards.

Of course i haven't tested this out by myself so this statement could be complete bogus to the experts :P

I got it to work with one game (only one I tried) back with my 4870x2 and an 8800GT but it also killed my PSU (I think) and wasn't entirely convinced it was necessary, especially not for a dedicated card if you have an already potent single nvidia card in there

I tried running a PhysX card with my 980, tried 2 580's 9800 gt, 8800 ultra, and a quadro 600.   Of all of them only the 600 would play nice with the 980 and could be run together.  Any other card would make my computer forget it even had a 980 installed but would still show video through it.   To me It wasn't worth screwing around with it.

I tried running a PhysX card with my 980, tried 2 580's 9800 gt, 8800 ultra, and a quadro 600.   Of all of them only the 600 would play nice with the 980 and could be run together.  Any other card would make my computer forget it even had a 980 installed but would still show video through it.   To me It wasn't worth screwing around with it.

I'm running a GTX 980 and a dedicated GTX 750 Ti for PhysX without a hitch on my brother's machine.

Note: Because those cards are older, they're probably using older drivers with whatever your GTX 980's are on now. You need to download and extract the older drivers for those cards, and install them manually. That'll probably solve your issue.

With the latest Nvidia drivers, which are 344.48, it'll work with both the GTX 980 and GTX 750 Ti, which is nice. Before, when using 344.16 on the GTX 980, I had to manually install the 344.11 driver for the GTX 750 Ti (since 344.16 isn't supported for the GTX 750 Ti).

Edited by El_Capitan

I'm gonna jump in and say yes a dedicated phyx card is worth it if you already don't have a powerful video card or two. When I ran Titans in SLi, I added a GTX 770 for physx and the fps dropped a good 10 and sometimes it stuttered depending on the game. It's almost like everything else was waiting on the 770. Now if you don't have SLi than I think a physx card is great.