LCD Flat Panel TV as PC Monitor?

FashionFish

Thinking of replacing my 22" LCD monitor with something bigger. Looking to go around 27-30", maybe up to 32". Been doing some reading on using LCD TVs as monitors. Looks like everyone's experience is different confused.gif. Some models seem to work and others don't. The reason I'm even considering this is because the larger TVs are less expensive than the larger computer monitors. Not sure why, maybe it's production economies or looser tolerances

Worried about a couple of things. Can I get the same image and text sharpness as in an LCD panel designed as a computer monitor? Most of my PC use is gaming. Things like EVE Online, BF BC2, Crysis, SC II, etc. Will the refresh rates and generally lower resolutions (for similar screen sizes) provide the same experience as a computer monitor dunno.gif

Right now, I have dual GTX 8800 Ultras running in SLI (if that makes a difference).

Also, anyone bought into the NVIDIA 3D world? Is it worth getting a 120Hz monitor for?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once used my 42" LCD HDTV as my monitor once, just to see what it was like. The resolution was set to something crazy, like 3840 x 2400, and I couldn't seem to lower it. That was 2 years ago, I haven't tried it again. The only drawback is power consumption, but if you're okay with that, then there's no problem.

I once used my 42" LCD HDTV as my monitor once, just to see what it was like. The resolution was set to something crazy, like 3840 x 2400, and I couldn't seem to lower it. That was 2 years ago, I haven't tried it again. The only drawback is power consumption, but if you're okay with that, then there's no problem.

Power consumption is not a big issue. Especially, if I'm staying in the 32" and below range. I'll keep digging and once I get the DVI to HDMI adaptor I ordered, I'll hookup my 32" Sharp Aquos and try that. I've heard though, that it doesn't make a great computer monitor.

The primary thing you need to watch for is pixel refresh rate and resolutions when comparing the two platforms. Generally speaking LCD TVs have pretty poor pixel refresh times in comparison to computer "gaming" monitors. This can cause ghosting and screen tearing at high resolutions when pc gaming.

The primary thing you need to watch for is pixel refresh rate and resolutions when comparing the two platforms. Generally speaking LCD TVs have pretty poor pixel refresh times in comparison to computer "gaming" monitors. This can cause ghosting and screen tearing at high resolutions when pc gaming.

Yes, that's definitely an issue. It's hard to tell from the specs though, just what the TV will be like as a monitor. Someone here at the office suggested bringing a laptop and plugging into the various TVs to try.

You could always buy a computer monitor with an integrated TV tuner. Samsung and LG both make some models that have that ability. Those are the two 27" models but they range all the way down to 21.5". Only downside is not as many connections as a full fledged TV but it'll function just fine as a TV or computer monitor.

when i did it a while back the only issue i had was with text , it always looked a little crappyer then normal and i am not 100% on this but it might be easyer to burn in a tv i know after long gaming sessions i always had some burns , they went away but u could tell for like a hour or 2 that they were there.

I am personally not a fan of it. I think it looks like crap compared to computer monitors but to other people it looks just fine.

So in the end its up to you if you like the way it looks or not.

It completely depends on the TV. As long as you can get a 1:1 pixel mapping and you get the panel response time as low as possible (most have "game modes" now that reduce latency) it'll look like a bigass LCD...because that's exactly what it is. :cheers:

I run a 42" Westinghouse LCD as my main display and after using it it's hard to go back to a "regular" monitor. :biggrin: