Cooler Master Hyper 612 PWM and GeminII S524 CPU Coolers Tested

Nemo

If the spacing is indeed 2mm, on the hyper 612, it would be something interesting to use.

A sacrifice on surface area for increased airflow. I would have thought it a risky gamble but I do not doubt coolermaster knows what they are doing. Running so very many tests before they decide it's worth it.

Good review.

I wish I had waited to sell the WC loop.. I would have got that Hyper 612 plus an extra 120mm fan. :D

Well, LasT is pretty damned happy that you sold it :)

He's probably going to be overclocking tonight. He spent like 2 hours setting it up last night lol :biggrin:

I wish I could see the 212+ in that same setup and case, the 212+ ran 13c higher but it's not fair because it was in a different case (in our old review) with a 4870 (which run hotter too).

I'm of course referring to the 612

Yes IVIY I agree I would have liked to have tested a 212+ side-by-side. If I ever get my hands on one I'll throw the un-official results in this thread. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, since there are so many different variables between reviewers and systems it's nearly impossible to include results from other reviews with any statistical significance. Any results in our case and heatsink reviews (at least mine) are tested in the same location, same computer, and same reviewer.

To Stonerboy, I did some hand calculations comparing the effective difference between a larger fin gap and lesser surface area versus a smaller gap and a couple of extra fins. I found that really, there's not much difference. When you're talking pressure drop between the two, it does technically "double" with an arbitrary 1.4mm and 2.0mm gaps. However, that was on the order of single Pascals. So doubling a penny is still only two pennies.

Honestly, the best way for Cooler Master to have tested this would have been to have several identical heatsinks with different fin spacings...and pick the one that worked best with a particular fan. My guess is that this fin gap was the most effective!

• 2 weeks later...