OCC Reviews the Super Talent SmartClip

road-runner

I'm sorry but I have to ask. Why was the mp3 player so dirty in the pictures? I know I cannot be the only person who noticed it, it looks really nasty, sorry its nothing personal.

Was that sent as a review unit? Or did you use it for awhile then review it? I could see it getting dirty that way. If thats a review unit SuperTalent should at the very least clean extremely well so it would look great in pictures. Well, thats what I would do if I was in charge of a company that wanted to give off the best impression possible of its new MP3 player.

Even if ST did send it that way I would have recommended cleaning it very well. The pictures look better and it comes off more professional IMHO.

I would have liked to see ST give the reviewer a price for this player. Its only 1GB so most people would figure its probably going to be cheap or I dont think it will sell in this overcrowded mp3 player market. I did not like the very slow transfer time but that could be a fluke and just a problem with that particular unit, ya never know. But if this player retails for a great price I could see myself grabbing a few for Christmas presents for friends.

Nice first post! :lol:

thumbsdown.gif

Why do you say his post is bad? I disagree, the guy asked a legit question and gave feedback. Not saying I agree with his feedback, just that it was legit and And i'm sure if OCC wants to improve i'm sure they want feedback, negative and positive. Its not like his post was "this review sucks!!!!11". I think they can defend themselves if they felt offended.

Edited by pot

1rst off thanks for your criticism. Could the fingerprints and fingerprint smudges be wiped off? Sure they could. If you have used a gloss black case before you know just how easy it is to leave fingerprints. If not look at that jet black IPOD in your pocket and tell me it does not look the same under a flash. But again thanks for the feedback and welcome to OCC.

1rst off thanks for your criticism. Could the fingerprints and fingerprint smudges be wiped off? Sure they could. If you have used a gloss black case before you know just how easy it is to leave fingerprints. If not look at that jet black IPOD in your pocket and tell me it does not look the same under a flash. But again thanks for the feedback and welcome to OCC.

:withstupid: Ever see the mirrored back of an iPod after just 2 minutes of use?!

As for the bar graphs, flash makes it easier for everyone to include charts. HTML doesn't do charts, so what would you like done? You want every reviewer to make a chart in powerpoint and save it as a jpg and then upload it to the site? That'd just be ridiculous.

99.1% of internet-enabled PC's have flash in the major markets (source). There's no reason to make it harder for reviewers to appease the 0.9% of people...most, if not all, of which would never visit OCC.

I'd keep the fingerprints cause it's simply normal... there isn't any sense writing a review on a super clean product, while in the real world, it will almost never look that way. Though, there should be a sentence in there saying that the product is glossy and will smudge easily, thus explaining the pictures.

I'd keep the fingerprints cause it's simply normal... there isn't any sense writing a review on a super clean product, while in the real world, it will almost never look that way. Though, there should be a sentence in there saying that the product is glossy and will smudge easily, thus explaining the pictures.

I agree that something should be mentioned about "smudging easily", but that's ridiculous to say we should include smudgy pictures. We should always try to present the best pictures available.

I agree that something should be mentioned about "smudging easily", but that's ridiculous to say we should include smudgy pictures. We should always try to present the best pictures available.

I did like the review afterall. I figured it was probably a review unit that ST sends around to different sites hence the reason it got kind of dirty. I don't think just because an item is glossy or whatever though that you cannot take good pictures of it. Simply clean it off and place it at your desk or table (where ever you take photos at) using a wipe so it does not get dirty again before taking the pictures. I hope you were not offended by my post.

Oh and yes I know all about the glossy finishes on alot of electronics these days.I really like when the manufacturer provides a cleaning cloth or similar with the glossy type of products, I think its the little things like that that count in the crowded electronic market these days. But regardless I was not being personal about saying it was dirty, just a nice wipe of the product before pictures would help :D

If flash helps on bandwidth then I can fully understand using flash over a jpg.

Edited by pot

I did like the review afterall. I figured it was probably a review unit that ST sends around to different sites hence the reason it got kind of dirty. I don't think just because an item is glossy or whatever though that you cannot take good pictures of it. Simply clean it off and place it at your desk or table (where ever you take photos at) using a wipe so it does not get dirty again before taking the pictures. I hope you were not offended by my post.

Oh and yes I know all about the glossy finishes on alot of electronics these days.I really like when the manufacturer provides a cleaning cloth or similar with the glossy type of products, I think its the little things like that that count in the crowded electronic market these days. But regardless I was not being personal about saying it was dirty, just a nice wipe of the product before pictures would help :D

If flash helps on bandwidth then I can fully understand using flash over a jpg.

Flash is also very much more straightforward for the editors and reviewers to use. Not everyone has the software to make bar-charts, so using the flash capability centrally gives everyone the required ability ;)

Welcome to OCC btw.

Why the heck use flash to show a static bargraph?

The graphs are dynamically generated, so they aren't static images really. Flash is a good way of generating dynamic images from input variables.

Flash is also very much more straightforward for the editors and reviewers to use. Not everyone has the software to make bar-charts, so using the flash capability centrally gives everyone the required ability ;)

Welcome to OCC btw.

Ahh gotcha, understandable. Thank you! =)