Miners...I don't like you

IVIYTH0S

Well it bitcoin bites the dust there should be a lot of used cards cheap soon...

Everyone could be rocking SLI or Crossfire of the high end cards. :lol:

I fail to see the point in mining, because the rewards hardly outweigh the gains. If you're running a ton of systems to mine at once, then sure, maybe it'd be worthwhile. Otherwise? There's no point. F@H is a far more worthy pursuit of running systems 24/7.

Bitcoin is not to blame, people haven't used GPUS to mine of BTC for like a year.

Scrypt currencies like Litecoin and Dogecoin are why miners use GPUS. ASICS are used for BTC since you will never reach ROI mining BTC with a GPU. Heck, even some of the small ASICs that still mine many times faster then the fastest GPU will take years to make back what they cost in BTC.

Gox closing will have no long term effect on crypto. They only exchanged BTC, and the price dropped for like 12 hours before going right back up. Gox has been having issues for months before closing, most knew it was doomed for at least 3 weeks when withdrawals were halted.

Is anyone else here fed up (I know AMD and Nvidia aren't), that Miners have been essentially ruining any kind of good value for video cards (New AND Used) right now??

I don't know why it bugs me so much, but it does. I know it's hurting those looking to upgrade or get a new gaming system. I can't stand this mining craze and hope it ends soon.

Any other opinions on this?

If I would have ordered my R9 270x 1 day sooner I would have saved $20... that is how fast the prices are going up.

Edited by slick2500

At the LAN events I have attended the conversation always turn to this and gamers everywhere I have spoken to agree, mining has made a mess for gamers. As for used cards, no matter the pricing I WOULD NOT buy a used card right now. The miners have beat the crap out of them and will dump them on ebay cheap. Your card might work a few weeks and then suddenly die and this is the likely outcome. Be very careful buying used.

• Like 1

I agree with comped. Those cards are running at the max 24/7 and maybe even oc'ed. That would definitely damage the chip and the hsfs'. As for F@H, its a more fulfilling pursuit, Helps you use your gpu for something productive for the world.

IVI, I've been noticing the same thing for awhile now. I remember looking not too long ago before the prices went up and I was highly considering a R9 290 for around $400. No more, it's just not worth it for me. It's driving me nuts, but hopefully we'll see prices come down by the end of the year. 

Just found a link while browsing. Just look where all these cards end up.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/insane-crypto-currency-mining-rigs/

God what morons :pfp:
If you were raking in the dough you would have a different opinion I think. :)

The imaginary dough or the one you hand over to your electric company?