ATI Radeon HD 5830 Graphics Card from Sapphire Examined

Nemo

In what may be one of the final pieces to the HD 5000-series puzzle, ATI has released the HD 5830 videocard that slots in between the $180 HD 5770 and $310 HD 5850. OCC's ccokeman examines the Sapphire HD 5830 Modern Warfare 2 Edition - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5830/

I read that the 5830 cores are basically 5850 cores that weren’t able to meet the binning requirements for use in the actual HD 5850. I hope that doesn't mean the OC potential will differ too much from chip to chip.

I was also hoping for a card that's physically smaller than the 5850 though, so I was kind of disappointed when the 5830 is just as long and and in some cases even longer than the 5850.

Edited by kuri

Looks to be a solid card, though some of the benchmarks it didn't do real well in. Seems to be about even with the 4890, but you are getting DX11 with it. I bet two of them in Crossfire would be really nice, little bit more of a boost than two 5770s imo. Though if its between the 5830 or the GTX 260/275.. I'm going to go with the 5830. Better performance for similar prices.

It plays at the right performance point.

Since it's already using more power than the 5850, I say they release versions with higher clockes near or at what you got it to.Then I'll like it more lol, it needs to kill the 275 all the time since it's in the same price bracket (and newer)

You also have to remember that ATI does not have a reference board for this core and gave the board partners the ability to put together their own. My test system idles around 190 watts without any power saving features enabled and when overclocked under load I got 311 watts i believe! so that's actually right around the power consumption that the Toxic 5850 delivered. 309 watts if memory serves me right. So under load thats about 120 watts give or take a few! Power consumption is something to shake a stick at as a point of difference. In the grand scheme of things you would have to have your computer running full out on the GPU and cpu 24/7 to even see any even measurable difference in the KW used in your home.

In the grand scheme of things you would have to have your computer running full out on the GPU and cpu 24/7 to even see any even measurable difference in the KW used in your home.

Exactly!

If someone's worried about power consumption, there's no point to even consider a high-ish end card