ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q G-SYNC Monitor Review

Bosco

As someone who has seen G-Sync in action, I'm really excited to finally see this hitting the market (though I'll likely wait for the 1080p version, since this one's a bit pricey). Oh, and a laptop with it would be sweet.

The problem NVIDIA, ASUS, and all the other display manufacturers have is that it's hard to actually comprehend the benefit without seeing it in person. If you read Frank's review, you'll see it's a rather subjective review - as is anything I say. There's simply no hard numbers we can show you. You can check out my video from October that tries to show it, but of course that's limited by my camera and doesn't give a perfect picture (no pun intended) of what's going on.

What I try and convey to people who ask me: the major benefit of G-Sync is that you no longer have to worry about maintaining a consistent FPS. Before, even if you averaged 60fps, if you dipped below that even once, that's where you'd have either the input lag or tearing (depending on your v-sync setting). With G-Sync, if you dip, you won't even notice it because it will remain smooth.

That being said, I would like to mention that I'm slightly disappointed by the specs (if they're listed accurately). The variable refresh rate is listed as 50-144Hz. What this means is that if your FPS in a game dips below 50, then even with G-Sync on, you'll have problems (not sure if it'd be input lag, tearing, or both). When I was shown G-Sync in October, the demo dropped as low as 40fps, and I thought for sure they'd make the lowend 30, if not lower. I'm hoping this is just a limitation of the larger screen and that a smaller (let's say 24" 1080p) display will have a lower lowend. Otherwise, you'll still need a beefy GPU to get the most out of it, when I personally thought one of the benefits was that you could get away with a mid-range card and still have as smoooth an experience as those with a high-end card (though maybe NVIDIA wouldn't want that. lol).

Anywho, just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Still $700 is a lot better then $1500 I paid for my 30" LCD monitor lol

For sure, and putting it in perspective it is fair pricing considering that other name brand 2560x1440 monitors fetch similar pricing.  Not to mention the maximum response rate of 144Hz.  Impressive technology at a fair price.  Maybe they will release a lower priced 24" version @ 1920x1200  :)

Frank - what was your take on the AG coating?  Usually I'm not a fan and prefer virgin glass  :)

I prefer a matte finish myself so there was nothing that stood out as offensive. I understand the allure of a smooth finish but I will take a matte finish with no glare any day over a smooth glossy finish. The lighting in my computer room is from behind me and I had no reflection to speak of. The picture is crisp and clear.