Which is better?

kyfire

• 1 month later...

The H100 is a good cooler, used it on a good amount of builds. However ive found the Xigamatek Dark Knight II ceramic cooler to only be 3-4 degrees warmer under the hardest of OCs. 50$ compared to 110+$ and only a difference of 3-4C.

Case may play a contributing factor to my results as I tested it against my H100, H80i, Noctua D14 and 212 EVO to surprising outcomes. Case was HAFX/932 Advanced. I stopped buying the closed water loops altogether once I found that DK. Unless you need that few extra degrees to make your system stable at your OC then get the H100, but then again if only a variance of a few degrees makes your system unstable, then it was never really stable to begin with.

The only 2 water coolers used in my tests was the H100/H80i and H80i was only 1-2c cooler, D14 was 5-6c Warmer. Room temp was 68-71F

Water displaces heat better then air (think jumping in a 32 degree pond as opposed to standing outside in 32 degree air temp). So no matter how good the air cooler is, high end closed loop water systems will still perform better in most cases. I was just stunned at how well that darn air cooler performed!

Edited by DnaAngel
  • Like 1

I agree with DnaAngel. You're shelling out $50 more for a 2-4oC better performance which, IMHO, is seriously worthless unless you're planning to really push as far as possible (in which, if you did, you likely won't be asking this question). Even a Hyper212 Evo can go a long way, and they only cost $35.

That being said, I recommend the NZXT Havik 140. Haven't personally tried the OCK or the DK2 but the Havik 140 is second only to the D14 in my experience (well 3rd if you count the original H100.)

Water displaces heat better then air (think jumping in a 32 degree pond as opposed to standing outside in 32 degree air temp). So no matter how good the air cooler is, water will still perform better in most cases. I was jsut stunned at how well that darn air cooler performed!

Water does displace heat better than air, but design also plays a big role. Fact that you're only seeing a minor decrease in temps when switching to a H100 from a D14 proofs that. At its current state, AIO water coolers just ain't worth the money compared to high-end air coolers IMHO.

• Like 1

I agree with DnaAngel. You're shelling out $50 more for a 2-4oC better performance which, IMHO, is seriously worthless unless you're planning to really push as far as possible (in which, if you did, you likely won't be asking this question). Even a Hyper212 Evo can go a long way, and they only cost $35.

That being said, I recommend the NZXT Havik 140. Haven't personally tried the OCK or the DK2 but the Havik 140 is second only to the D14 in my experience (well 3rd if you count the original H100.)

Water displaces heat better then air (think jumping in a 32 degree pond as opposed to standing outside in 32 degree air temp). So no matter how good the air cooler is, water will still perform better in most cases. I was jsut stunned at how well that darn air cooler performed!

Water does displace heat better than air, but design also plays a big role. Fact that you're only seeing a minor decrease in temps when switching to a H100 from a D14 proofs that. At its current state, AIO water coolers just ain't worth the money compared to high-end air coolers IMHO.

Exactly, Ill never go back to pre-built closed loop systems. Not worth the price for only 3-4 degrees