Intel Core i7 4960X Reviewed

Bosco

The 4XXX on socket 2011 series seems to heat pretty quick just like it's 1155 counterpart. Do you wonder if they used solder or thermal paste?

it's thermal paste last read online. I think ivy bridge is the only one that used solder, I could be wrong.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1155 Ivy bridge used thermal paste, they were the first mid-range to introduce thermal paste lately.

Sandy bridge were the last using solder, as well as Sandy-bridge E. This is why I was wondering about IB-E.

hmm I guess i have it all backwords.

edit: I happy to report that at lest Asus is supporting these new cpus with its current boards. I just looked and saw a bios update for the X79 WS. I also been reading Intel will not support its own cpus on it's current x79 motherboards. Not sure how much is true or they just haven't released a bios update yet.

The extremes are exactly that, they are meant for people with money to blow that want to say they have the best of the best. Okay well let me also add that there is a legitimate use for these chips but it is purely in a work environment with high end rendering. For home users and gamers the only reason to buy these is to cover feeling of inadequacy or compensate for a mid life crisis.

Now wait a min are you talking about me? :rtfm:

No and I will tell you why. Like myself you get some really nice and expensive toys to play with and only a fool would not play with them since they are essentially free. However if you had to go out, spend your own money to buy a computer for gaming or everday use that was purely on your dime and only for your personal use and enjoyment I doubt you would spend this much money on a chip.

In all honesty I am kind of relieved to see these gaming results... Gaming on my 2500k @ 4.8 has not hindered me yet even when playing the latest games, and it doesn't look like I'd see much of an improvement on single monitor gaming if I would upgrade.  Would be interested to see the same lineup gaming at 2560x1440, though I'm sure it still wouldn't show a huge improvement.

The extremes are exactly that, they are meant for people with money to blow that want to say they have the best of the best. Okay well let me also add that there is a legitimate use for these chips but it is purely in a work environment with high end rendering. For home users and gamers the only reason to buy these is to cover feeling of inadequacy or compensate for a mid life crisis.

No and I will tell you why. Like myself you get some really nice and expensive toys to play with and only a fool would not play with them since they are essentially free. However if you had to go out, spend your own money to buy a computer for gaming or everday use that was purely on your dime and only for your personal use and enjoyment I doubt you would spend this much money on a chip.

No Comment :haha:

And why do you think he started the site? :P

Of course it was to provide a high-quality destination for overclockers to come to and discuss the latest hardware, and other computing news. Right boss.

Of course it was to provide a high-quality destination for overclockers to come to and discuss the latest hardware, and other computing news. Right boss.

I didn't start the site, however, I have been known to get a little carried away sometimes LMAO.

I didn't start the site, however, I have been known to get a little carried away sometimes LMAO.

Yet another example of the truth ruining a joke :cry:

Also, NESTED QUOTES!

Wow, really? Always thought Bosco did start the site, and that's what "senior admin" meant.  :lol: