OCC Poll 11/02/2014

Nyt

Ebola Poll  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is the current Ebola epidemic a cause for concern?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are governments doing enough to contain the Ebola outbreak?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you believe we will have an easily accessible cure in the near future ?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Are strict travel restrictions to Ebola-hit countries needed ?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Bonus question for the conspiracy theorists out there, has Ebola been weaponized by the lizard people to start controlling the population numbers so they can take over the world ?

• No
    • Absolutely not.
    • Why is this even a question ?

After seeing how empty the OCC Polls forum section has been recently, I thought we should get it started again.

Each Sunday I'll try posting up a new topic. It will vary between current world events and tech related topics.   

So I thought we'd start off with a topic that has been on the minds of many.

With the world worrying over Ebola, what is your stance on the matter ?

I watched a news video on the ny times showing how they just reject people who has Ebola when they don't have beds and just send them home. Thats how it's spreading so far because it can live up to 3 days in water and sometimes on a surface.

East way to contain to admit anyone and don't let them go until they are cured.

Hasn't Ebola only killed like 3k people since March? How is that an epidemic? Over half a million people have died from Aids in the same time.

Apparently rumor has it that the deaths have been underreported, with entire villages wiped out by Ebola, and a death count that could have been 15 000-20 000.

Still, it seems very small but if it is given more time it could mutate and spread. Maybe that's what we want to avoid, especially given the Ebola mortality rate.

Hasn't Ebola only killed like 3k people since March? How is that an epidemic? Over half a million people have died from Aids in the same time.

Difference being that the people who had AIDS had HIV for years. Those who have Ebola, live or die at within a month or two after they get it.

It's a potentially dangerous pandemic if left unchecked, and it'll affect the way we care for our sick since the initial symptoms is very similar to that of the flu.

I'm not concerned, it'll spread, or won't, or there'll be a vaccine, or there won't.

Ebola pretty much can only spread through physical contact of bodily fluids of someone already sick with ebola. It isn't airborne, can't be spread through food or the water supply, and bugs cannot transmit it. People initially catch it by coming into contact with African fruit bats (touching or eating), so don't eat those and you're fine. The disease was always contained pretty much just in west Africa, but when this recent outbreak blew up and more doctors and nurses came in, it started to spread more.

Death figures can be had here, along with reports that ebola is slowing in Liberia. Sierra Leone, not so much. Nearly 14,000 cases have been reported, with just about 5,000 confirmed deaths. Death rate for ebola is anywhere from 25 to 90%, so getting the disease isn't a guarantee that you'll die.