Unofficial BEEEEEER Thread

Andrewr05

So I had a Bourbon County from Goose Island earlier tonight and at 15% ABV, I didn't need much else to get a decent buzz. It was an amazing beer, extremely flavorful, lot of bourbon flavor. Very very dark beer, with a dark red/brown head to it. I found it the be a great way to start the new year! :D

I had the Narwhal a while back, it was delicious and showed me that Sierra Nevada can certainly make something other than their famous pale ale, which I don't care for.

I've been going through several stouts lately, tried Guinness Extra Stout again recently after having not had it for quite some time, I honestly found it to be a little too sweet. I picked up a 4 pack of Founder's Breakfast Stout, those are amazing, perhaps the most flavorful stouts I've tasted. A really good oatmeal cream stout I found recently was Buffalo Sweat, though it was a little sweet for my taste.

All in all, 2013 was a fun year for beer, and I expect 2014 to be even better! :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a month ago I went from not liking beer to saying "Hey this is pretty good stuff"

Amazing how the mass media can color your opinion on just about anything. Before that having tried Bud, Coors, Miller, Guinness, Heineken, etc. you were SURE that you had tried enough beer to say it was disgusting.

Granted Guinness isn't even that bad, but its not the filling, 'thick' meal in a glass that I've heard people describe it as. :lol:

Andrew! I seen that Narwhal beer next to my Dragons Milk! I almost bought that!

I will try it next time for sure!

I have not tried Dragon's Milk, but after looking it up I may have to find some.

Also for your beer searching, If you like stouts then you're in luck because it seems like next to hoppy IPAs the stout style lineup is enormous.

Another thing, a stout is named that because it was basically a STRONG porter, so don't limit yourself to just stouts.

Nowadays stouts tend to be much maltier and not just strong in alcohol content but very complex flavorfully, but don't let that fool you into thinking that they have a monopoly on the flavorful dark beer sector. There are still very good porters kicking around.

That being said try these-

• Porter
  • Baltic Porter
  • Stout
  • American Imperial
  • Russian Imperial
  • Oatmeal stout/porter (actually brewed with oats, they tend to have an amazing mouthfeel, think almost putting pop rocks in your mouth as you drink it, but not quite as vigorous)
  • Milk stout (definitely split a bottle with a friend, these can be hit or miss, you love them or you hate them)
  • Dry stout/porters (and by extension dry anything will be the same as milk stouts, English style ales as well with their minimal flavor and no carbonation should be avoided as well)
Probably lots of other beers that fall into this category of flavorful dark beers, but you'll just have to try one of every kind to get a good preference.

Also it seems ultra nerdy, but when you go to a beer store and you're trying something new you should search for that beer on BeerAdvocate or RateBeer to see what the average score is.

It would suck to try a beer and have it leave a bad impression on a whole beer style only to find out it was a poor example, just a really bad beer overall or It may also be that the brewery calls it one type of beer but that it actually is technically under another category.

Holy beer information Batman!

Thanks for that! I will definitely consider giving other beers a chance.

So the other beer I dug is called: Founders Breakfast Stout.

Going to find some after work tomorrow and drink that up over the weekend!