Going to be installing an SSD, help me set it up.

Andrewr05

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

Got everything installed and setup.

It seems faster, but considering I came from an 8 year old 200GB OS drive I would certainly hope so.

However, as per this post I made, the more I use it the less I notice any difference.

I restart so little that the start-up times are irrelevant (though I've not even timed it yet), in basic usage I'm not really sure I notice much difference to be honest.

Fixed it, swapped out SATA ports to the uhhh...'right' ones but now I just noticed as well that my drive isn't 4K aligned.

Every guide I looked at when installing the SSD said that Windows 7 would automatically properly align everything 4k upon instalation.

fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu.png

If you did a fresh install of Windows 7 or Windows 8 both of those OS would have properly aligned the hard drive partition.  If you were ghosting an existing OS image to your new SSD you could have attached the SSD, ran WEI and then formatted the new SSD before moving the image over to the new SSD.

Alternatively there are some different 3rd party tools that you can use to align the partition;

1. gparted

2. acronis

3. minitool partition wizard

4. intel partition tool