Sub 1300 Gaming laptop

acpowell

So my 14 year old needs a new laptop for school (his school requires that he has one) and he has been using my old hand me downs for a while now so mom decided to get him a new one. Of course he wants an 18" Alienware. Of course I don't want to spend 10k on a laptop.

We are looking to get a gaming laptop for hopefully under 1300 with 3 year ADP. Any suggestions? I am hoping to stay away from HP.

17.3 is a bit big and heavy to be lugging around though. I've got a 15.6" i7 3610QM, GT 650M, 4GBx2 DDR3-1333, 120 GB SSD and 750 GB 7200. Specs and price are amazing on that Clevo, though, but you may want to look at a 15.6" since he'll be carrying it around for school. I bring mine to class every now and then, and its a pain to carry around.

Oh, also, stay away from glossy screens. The glare is ridiculous and makes the computer impossible to use. I've got a matte 1920x1080 and even that is hard to see if I'm outside.

What's wrong with HP? My friend and I both have the same HP laptop, and both of ours are working flawlessly. He's had his for 1.5 years, and I've had mine for about 6 months now.

Edited by l33t p1mp

17.3 is a bit big and heavy to be lugging around though. I've got a 15.6" i7 3610QM, GT 650M, 4GBx2 DDR3-1333, 120 GB SSD and 750 GB 7200. Specs and price are amazing on that Clevo, though, but you may want to look at a 15.6" since he'll be carrying it around for school. I bring mine to class every now and then, and its a pain to carry around.

Oh, also, stay away from glossy screens. The glare is ridiculous and makes the computer impossible to use. I've got a matte 1920x1080 and even that is hard to see if I'm outside.

What's wrong with HP? My friend and I both have the same HP laptop, and both of ours are working flawlessly. He's had his for 1.5 years, and I've had mine for about 6 months now.

I don't like HPs customer server or support, and I don't like the feel of the machines. I have an HP at work and it is just okay. I want a machine that feels better than just okay for my son.

I don't like HPs customer server or support, and I don't like the feel of the machines. I have an HP at work and it is just okay. I want a machine that feels better than just okay for my son.

Have you ever used their laptops? Mine feels quite solid. The keyboard is really springy, the screen doesn't wobble, the entire thing is made of brushed aluminum, its quite nice. Whatever brand you choose to buy him, though, be very careful with the size you buy. A 17" laptop WILL be a pain to carry around.

Have you ever used their laptops? Mine feels quite solid. The keyboard is really springy, the screen doesn't wobble, the entire thing is made of brushed aluminum, its quite nice. Whatever brand you choose to buy him, though, be very careful with the size you buy. A 17" laptop WILL be a pain to carry around.

I am on a ProBook right now, and he will not be getting anything over a 15"

Just an alternative, $400-$500 for a lighter laptop that he can actually carry to school and use in class with a reasonable amount of battery life. Then spend $800-$900 on a nice desktop for him to play his games on. This way his experience at school will be better (no being permanently attached to a wall socket, less heavy of a laptop), and his experience with games will be better (bigger screen, better graphics, ability to upgrade). There's also the benefit of keeping the fun out of the classroom.

The problem with a $1300 gaming laptop is that when he 17, he's going to have a laptop that's too old to game on, and too heavy to use as a laptop. Just some ideas.

There are some great clevo/sager laptops you could get.

$1300 should get you a p150em with i5/i7, 8-16gb ram, gtx 660-670 possibly and a 500-750gb hdd. You can even get them with damn nice Matt screens.

Selling my HP and getting a clevo in the coming weeks.

There are some great clevo/sager laptops you could get.

$1300 should get you a p150em with i5/i7, 8-16gb ram, gtx 660-670 possibly and a 500-750gb hdd. You can even get them with damn nice Matt screens.

Selling my HP and getting a clevo in the coming weeks.

Who is Matt? :teehee: