GTX 590 Reviewed

Bosco

First thing I noticed...typo in the first paragraph of "Closer Look" 4 lines down, the word their is spelled thier........ sorry, just had to comment lol. But this thing is a BEAST of a crad! :evilgrin:

Crad, how hilarious and ironic.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing I noticed...typo in the first paragraph of "Closer Look" 4 lines down, the word their is spelled thier........ sorry, just had to comment lol. But this thing is a BEAST of a crad! :evilgrin:

Thanks for pointing it out. Someone got to it before I did :)

The swedish site sweclockers had a totally different opinion:

http://www.sweclockers.com/recension/13695-nvidia-geforce-gtx-590/1

the 590 came out far behind the 6990, and drew much (50W) more power, and 2 of their cards blew up when they volted.

True, but they were using older drivers that had a flaw. I'd be interested to see them test again using the new drivers.

TechPowerup's card exploded.

"Card blew up during testing, power limiting system does not work reliably "

Yeah when he put it to 1.2V. The things stock volts are like 0.95 or something? That was fail on their part.

Theres just one thing that puzzles me :

Pros:

•Cool running

•Quiet

•Better chassis fit

•NVIDIA Surround support with one card

•NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround support with one card

•PhysX

•Smart Doctor utility

•Overclocking with voltage tuning

•Price

Cons:

•Airflow from rear dumps into the chassis

•Price

•Overclocking with no tuning

How can we say overclocking with voltage tuning is good when we havent tested it :P Im glad Frank didnt using voltage tuning since most reviewers fried cards

Shouldn't it be Voltage tuning available ? Since overclocking it is definately not a pro since is barely can oc

I did show a screen shot of the clocks I got with voltage tuning. Just did not have the time to re test the whole suite of games

why is the performance so weak in alien vs predator.

Low Clock speeds are a killer

This card gets a thumbs down from me... Doesn't seem worthy to be in the x90 series.

You have to realize the goals here, Cooler running, Less power consumption, Quieter, Smaller so it fits in more chassis all with respectable performance. That and you no longer need to buy two cards to use the whole 3D Surround ecosystem. This for a price point that is palatable. Sure the performance is lower as it should with the weak clock speeds but after playing for another night I am sitting at 780+ clock speeds with right around 1.0v

Yeah when he put it to 1.2V. The things stock volts are like 0.95 or something? That was fail on their part.

The voltage guidance I got was around 1.05 to 1.065 before the OVP kicks in and throttles the card.

Just on being quieter I would throw my money to NVIDIA on this one. If you have to sit next to a machine that sounds like a shop vac to get the performance you want its a trade off thats not worth the FPS to me.

You have to realize the goals here, Cooler running, Less power consumption, Quieter, Smaller so it fits in more chassis all with respectable performance. That and you no longer need to buy two cards to use the whole 3D Surround ecosystem. This for a price point that is palatable. Sure the performance is lower as it should with the weak clock speeds but after playing for another night I am sitting at 780+ clock speeds with right around 1.0v

$700 is a lot of money for a card that is pretty weak all around. I give the 6990 a thumbs down too. Less power, less power consumption, less heat, high price? If you want all that stuff you get a lower end card that costs hundreds less... You want to max out your FPS you get 49x and 59xx series cards.

*EDIT* Or you SLI.

Crad, how hilarious and ironic.

It was unintentional at first, and then I decided not to fix it before I posted, bit of irnoic ironic humor there :) (that one was pure accident :whistling: )

Edited by F13Bubba

The swedish site sweclockers had a totally different opinion:

http://www.sweclockers.com/recension/13695-nvidia-geforce-gtx-590/1

the 590 came out far behind the 6990, and drew much (50W) more power, and 2 of their cards blew up when they volted.

Actually it depends on the benchmarks. They trade blows across games. Really you need a huge amount of data if you want the best picture,

check these out:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/evga-550-pt-2-the-benchmarks

thats like 25 games

and here is a sum a very of many (15 or so):

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_590/23.html

As you can see on average the 590 is slightly more powerful. Techpowerup found the 590 to win the average of all resolutions execept their highest, and they were all very very close when averaged. They are so close it shouldnt matter at all. Its dumb to debate when they are so so close. On a handful of games it could easily show one card over the other. When you look at higher numbers of benchies it is clear they are nearly the same. In the end there is no game that one can run that the other cant.

Grat review ccokeman, i was really glad to see this one!!!!

Also, for those who are wondering. only two reviewers blew up the 590 and they did so by using the wrong driver which allowed them to overvolt the card higher than it shouldve and it fudged the power limiter on top of that. No one blew it up using the proper voltages.