Worst Companies In America 2012

bilcliff

Yeah I know.. But as a monopoly in my area: There's nothing I can do about it. I'm not so proud that I'd go without internet than pay entirely too much. Sometimes they give me a really good deal (recently sent me the absolute best DOCSIS 3.0 moden and wireless router all-in-one available, except the battery isn't included in it) which for a month or two subsides my loathing of them for the rest of the time they try to rip me off.

But cable, I don't pay comcast for that (directly.) I just get their internet, and pay for hulu plus, then slap on the wii and i have TV. I'm not paying more than I have to with a monopoly.

--Although I don't get why Paypal is on there.. I've had nothing but amazing service with them. Heck, i even closed my bank account and went to 100% paypal. It's my "bank" now because they've been the only good service I've ever gotten, and haven't messed with me even once. Anyways, there are very simple loopholes around the fees on requesting money transfers... Text/call the person directly, and ask for the amount. Then there is no percentage based deduction on my account for "requesting money." If the person still doesn't send it, the request feature is my last resort.. As it charges them a small amount for requests of a certain size.

And with ATMs.. I opened up a student account as my sub-account for my debit card.. I only get a fee once per ATM. After that, they don't charge me anymore. I think it might just be the area I'm in, because it's not actually supposed to do that. I should still get charged each time, far as I know.

--As for Bank of America.. they need to take the CEO's favorite skyscraper and bomb it from a helicopter while he's tied up the bottom of the helicopter.. Watching his "taller one" burn and crumble. I never used them, but the news and privately published articles I've read.. Someone oughtta kill him if even 1% of the allegations are accurate.

I agree about Paypal, they've never done me wrong and I really don't hear anything bad all that often, even when I do it's still not that terrible of a thing. I was pretty surprised by that one though, mostly because they went up against Charter and I just don't see how Paypal is even remotely close to being worse than Charter.

EA only made it into the Elite 8 due to the layout of the bracket. Look at the companies they went up against.

I'd say all the remaining companies are worse than EA except Walmart. I'm actually very surprised Walmart beat out GameStop, especially after that Deus Ex debacle. Walmart matches prices and has a great return policy...don't see what makes them a "worst company" candidate unless you're a small business owner. From a consumer perspective, that hatred is misguided.

I usually take the consumer stance in any given situation but with Wal-Mart, they just flat out have a terrible business model, they treat their employees like trash, they sell the junkiest of junk. They sell "65 TVs for $800 and sometimes less and those things fall apart within weeks or several months with minimal usage. In my opinion the pro of a good price does not outweigh the con of extremely low quality products, in the end that cheap "65 TV will be more trouble than the customer would like to deal with I bet.

I say best buy should have beat EA. They never know what the hell they are selling is, and they never hire me as a remedy to that issue. Seriously they had no idea what a modular powersupply is. EA is irritating, but best buy just pisses me off. :P

You need to educate yourself.

Could say the same about you ;)

I have educated myself on the matter, its something that nobody likes to think about and is rarely talked about...

I have lived in the same town for awhile now, and I have seen many businesses shut down because of Walmart's presence.

Think about how many small businesses or local shopping centers that Walmart has shut down. Think about how many US jobs were sent overseas all because Walmart installed this value of lower priced goods on consumers. Consumers these days would rather buy cheaper junk goods, then rather spending more money on quality.

Walmart used to see made in America goods, in fact a majority of their goods were at one time. 98% of goods that you can find in a Walmart today are made overseas... If Walmart isn't the sole cause of our economic troubles, they sure are the largest contributors to it... The economy isn't going to fix itself just by trying to create jobs, you need to change the consumer mindset, you need to show them a reason why to buy goods made in America, only then will we start to see a difference.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/

I say best buy should have beat EA. They never know what the hell they are selling is, and they never hire me as a remedy to that issue. Seriously they had no idea what a modular powersupply is. EA is irritating, but best buy just pisses me off. :P

:withstupid:

Walmart would just be a drop in the bucket compared to other problems. Like people living within their means. Or feeling like they are entitled to things without working for it. There are a lot of contributing factors but many of them are our own fault as a society.

Could say the same about you ;)

I have educated myself on the matter, its something that nobody likes to think about and is rarely talked about...

I have lived in the same town for awhile now, and I have seen many businesses shut down because of Walmart's presence.

Think about how many small businesses or local shopping centers that Walmart has shut down. Think about how many US jobs were sent overseas all because Walmart installed this value of lower priced goods on consumers. Consumers these days would rather buy cheaper junk goods, then rather spending more money on quality.

Walmart used to see made in America goods, in fact a majority of their goods were at one time. 98% of goods that you can find in a Walmart today are made overseas... If Walmart isn't the sole cause of our economic troubles, they sure are the largest contributors to it... The economy isn't going to fix itself just by trying to create jobs, you need to change the consumer mindset, you need to show them a reason why to buy goods made in America, only then will we start to see a difference.

http://www.pbs.org/w.../shows/walmart/

I've done a case study on Walmart, so I'm very familiar with the actual BUSINESS SIDE of things, not some personal bias about how it destroys local business. You're very misinformed. Like I said, the only people that should be against Walmart are small business owners, but guess what, Walmart did everything legitimately. They streamlined the distribution process, reducing costs that they smartly passed down to consumers. They made very smart business decisions to get where they are today.

The argument about lesser quality goods is ridiculous. They sell low, mid and high-end products, many of which can be found in other stores. All stores carry the low-end products because some people are on a budget. If you don't like the quality of an $800 TV, as Deathmineral mentioned, guess what...you can spend more money to buy a quality TV from big-name manufacturers like Sony or Sharp. Best of all, they'll match any price and offer a better return policy than most stores, so there is really no reason to shop anywhere else if they carry the product you want. What part of that makes them a bad company?

They also have nothing to do with where goods are manufactured. They're not a manufacturer, they're a distributor and retailer.

@Deathmineral: As for how they treat their people, not surprisingly, you're again very misinformed. Walmart treats their employees better than most with exceptional benefits. Stop trying to jump on the Walmart-sucks bandwagon without knowing anything about it, especially since that bandwagon is idiotic.

I've done a case study on Walmart, so I'm very familiar with the actual BUSINESS SIDE of things, not some personal bias about how it destroys local business. You're very misinformed. Like I said, the only people that should be against Walmart are small business owners, but guess what, Walmart did everything legitimately. They streamlined the distribution process, reducing costs that they smartly passed down to consumers. They made very smart business decisions to get where they are today.

The argument about lesser quality goods is ridiculous. They sell low, mid and high-end products, many of which can be found in other stores. All stores carry the low-end products because some people are on a budget. If you don't like the quality of an $800 TV, as Deathmineral mentioned, guess what...you can spend more money to buy a quality TV from big-name manufacturers like Sony or Sharp. Best of all, they'll match any price and offer a better return policy than most stores, so there is really no reason to shop anywhere else if they carry the product you want. What part of that makes them a bad company?

They also have nothing to do with where goods are manufactured. They're not a manufacturer, they're a distributor and retailer.

@Deathmineral: As for how they treat their people, not surprisingly, you're again very misinformed. Walmart treats their employees better than most with exceptional benefits. Stop trying to jump on the Walmart-sucks bandwagon without knowing anything about it, especially since that bandwagon is idiotic.

Well obviously your sources differ from mine. I have done extensive research on the Social-Economical effects of Walmart...

You are very misinformed, sorry to say.

Edited by greengiant912

Well obviously your sources differ from mine. I have done extensive research on the Social-Economical effects of Walmart...

+1

Clay, I don't know what your sources are, but mine are actual people that work at Wal-Mart, a lot of them friends, and they hate it.

I'm not going to argue about it anymore though, there's really no point, not everyone's situation is the same, that's exactly why I think it's possible for what you're saying to be true in your case but not in my own. It's also the reason for why I don't act like I know everything and call everyone else "misinformed".

+1

Clay, I don't know what your sources are, but mine are actual people that work at Wal-Mart, a lot of them friends, and they hate it.

I'm not going to argue about it anymore though, there's really no point, not everyone's situation is the same, that's exactly why I think it's possible for what you're saying to be true in your case but not in my own. It's also the reason for why I don't act like I know everything and call everyone else "misinformed".

A couple of years ago I worked at Wal-Mart. For 2 months it went okay, then I finished an end-cap in 15 minutes: The first time they asked me to do one. They expect 2 and a half hours to do an end-cap.

I did it perfectly, not a single mistake. They fired me instantly: Didn't even get to finish my shift. Because I did it in 15 minutes vs 2.5 hours: Guess I made the other lazy pricks look bad.

--A friend of mine has been working there for a little over 2 years now, and since his first few months he's learned something: Don't stick out, be as lazy as humanly possible. He got his wages cut once, and ever since: He's late, twiddles his thumbs half the day, and leaves early.. And I kid you not, he's gotten 4 raises since starting to be intentionally lazy. Hard workers make the management look bad for the ones who can't be motivated: And walmart would rather hire quantity over quality for their employees: It's easier to hire ANYONE WITH A PULSE than it is to filter through the employees for one or two that actually have work ethic.

--This is the only job I've ever gotten fired from. And it seriously makes me understand why WalMart's on that list from an employees stand-point. I got my revenge though, and to this day I can still laugh at them. So as a consumer: I don't hate them, but I probably would if it wasn't for me deciding to get payback.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

A couple of years ago I worked at Wal-Mart. For 2 months it went okay, then I finished an end-cap in 15 minutes: The first time they asked me to do one. They expect 2 and a half hours to do an end-cap.

I did it perfectly, not a single mistake. They fired me instantly: Didn't even get to finish my shift. Because I did it in 15 minutes vs 2.5 hours: Guess I made the other lazy pricks look bad.

--A friend of mine has been working there for a little over 2 years now, and since his first few months he's learned something: Don't stick out, be as lazy as humanly possible. He got his wages cut once, and ever since: He's late, twiddles his thumbs half the day, and leaves early.. And I kid you not, he's gotten 4 raises since starting to be intentionally lazy. Hard workers make the management look bad for the ones who can't be motivated: And walmart would rather hire quantity over quality for their employees: It's easier to hire ANYONE WITH A PULSE than it is to filter through the employees for one or two that actually have work ethic.

--This is the only job I've ever gotten fired from. And it seriously makes me understand why WalMart's on that list from an employees stand-point. I got my revenge though, and to this day I can still laugh at them. So as a consumer: I don't hate them, but I probably would if it wasn't for me deciding to get payback.

Instances like that are specific to a store and aren't indicative of the corporate attitude. They can't oversee what happens at every store. As long as they're meeting their sales goals (and let's face it, employees have little to do with how many people shop there), corporate is probably not going to think twice about it. But I bet if you reported management to the corporate bigwigs (with some proof that they're "seeking laziness"), they would have taken action, if nothing else than send out their corporate spies to investigate. I think a large part of the problem is that many Walmarts hire too many employees and thus, whether one works hard or hardly works, they're left twiddling their thumbs regardless.