Old ATI 5870 artifacting badly

asus

My ATI 5870 is starting to artifact badly.  I reapplied some thermal compound and it improved a little bit, but I think it's time to upgrade anyway.  Any suggestions that are equivalent or a lot better than the 5870, I have been out of the loop for a while so any advice would be appreciated. 

I am looking to spend <$500.

Thanks

$500 gives you some attractive selections.

Are you wed to AMD or would you consider nVidia?

The new AMD R9 cards are pretty amazing, but pricing has gone through the roof due to their popularity with the Bitmining crowd.  Based on that alone I wouldn't consider a R9 card until pricing gets back in line with where it ought to be.

If I were spending my own money with a budget of $500 or less I'd buy one of these;

AMD R9 280X Club3D RQ - $469.99 + free shipping (NewEgg)

EVGA GTX 780 ACX - On sale at NewEgg for $509.99 minus $20 rebate card - $489.99 + $5.92 shipping

If you want to go best bang for the buck consider this;

Gigabyte GTX 770 - $339.99 + $5.92 shipping (NewEgg)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463

I actually prefer nvidia.  I only have the ATI because at the time it was the best card you could buy for the price.  I am interested in that GTX 770.  As long as I can still play Crysis 3 at 2560x1600 at max resolution, i'm all game! 

Ah, didn't realize that you were a Crysis 3 fan - and at a high resolution too..............

That would change my recommendation a bit.  I think you should be considering cards that have at least 3Gb VRAM then, unless you don't mind turning down textures, AA, and eye candy some.  Otherwise a 2Gb card is probably going to bottom out on you.

There is a 4Gb GTX 770 card and they are usually less expensive than the 280x or the GTX 780.  However a lot of folks argue that the card is hampered by the 256-bit bus width.  Not sure I'm convinced of that but have had some pretty heated debate about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting a 780 with 4 GB of memory.. My credit card disapproves.. but my brain said YES! 

"My credit limit's tellin' me nooooo.....but my BRAIN.....MY BRAIN IS TELLLIN ME YEEEEEHHHHHS!"