Wierd Temp Issue

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

System has been on for approx 2 hours..

Real Temp .. CPU Temp is at 48 45 49 41  

Everest Ultimate - jumps between 34 C - 43 C  (48 48 45 45)

Installing 314.22 now... I am using 332.21

Running prime 95 and still running for 5 minutes so far:

Realtemp   99 92  100 81

Everest   96 96 92 92

Chose default values and chose ram option ..

lmk if they are okay or bad please thank you

Edited by Gremlin

I have it's little brother, the 980, and those temps are too high.

I tried a shot on OCCT, which tends to get temps around those of prime 95, and for a 8 min burn-in, I wouldn't go over 68 degrees C on a Zalman 10X Flex.

Redoing the thermal paste on it would be a good idea. Before undoing the screws, try to wiggle the cooler (softly) to see if the screws have untighten a bit. Open your case if they are all spinning. This happens. Also, if you know your BIOS, try to select a more agressive cooling method, i.e. one that make the fan spin faster.

For the GPU, did you install GPU-Z or MSI's Afterburner to get the readings from the GPU as well as the VRM's? If I recall right the 580's were quite power guzzlers (without being close to the 480's).

*Edit: Putting sentences in order

Edited by StefenHeif

its an evga so using evga precision x.. fan for the gpu are set to 61 %

Cpu and case fans are running .. case is open and not closed. I will go ahead and do the paste tomorrow .. and will run bf4 tonight ith 314.22 drivers to see how it does.. 

System has been on for approx 2 hours..

Real Temp .. CPU Temp is at 48 45 49 41  

Everest Ultimate - jumps between 34 C - 43 C  (48 48 45 45)

Installing 314.22 now... I am using 332.21

Running prime 95 and still running for 5 minutes so far:

Realtemp   99 92  100 81

Everest   96 96 92 92

Chose default values and chose ram option ..

lmk if they are okay or bad please thank you

Those temps are awfully high.

Usually the tj-max is around 73 C for Intel chips and 100 is WAY to much.

I would suggest, as the rest is doing, to re-seat the heat sink and re-apply the thermal paste.

Don't forget to clean it with a bit of alcohol to clean out the remnants of the previous paste.

So is there any expiration date for Arctic Silver or any Thermal paste :P

Euh, there should be, but i am not sure how reliable that is.

If it is closed and never has been opened, it should be fine for a few years or so, if you already used it and didn't use it for a year, i would suggest getting a new tube.

You can always try of course, it isn't going to catch fire...at least i don't think so. xD

I did reseat the heatsink and cpu.. When I opened the tube, it was sort of watery (hope that makes sense) but it was still firm..So i tried it.. Bios said 51 and Windows (realtemp) shows 60.. so I am thinking of leaving it on for a while to see how the temp is to get the paste sinked in. 

Or should i use new paste? 

I did reseat the heatsink and cpu.. When I opened the tube, it was sort of watery (hope that makes sense) but it was still firm..So i tried it.. Bios said 51 and Windows (realtemp) shows 60.. so I am thinking of leaving it on for a while to see how the temp is to get the paste sinked in. 

Or should i use new paste? 

If those are idle temps, i would suggest adding some case fans to keep your parts cooled.

60 C is pretty high for idle, even for a dual-card solution.

if you haven't put to much paste on the card (a rice size dot is enough in most cases) it is still a bit on the high side, although i do not know the "normal" temperatures of a 5970.

But judging by the reviews found on this site, it should be around 40~ C idle.

Before the idle temps were 30.. I will just get new paste and do it again.. Yes it was rice size.. 

What fan speeds are you running? Make sure the fan(s) on the cooler runs at the appropriate speeds.

If re-applying new thermal paste doesn't help, i would suggest looking at the fan of the cooler to see if has any unusual resistance on it (or before you apply the paste, now that you have the cooler already in hand and all).