haswell e upgrade or broadwell

whats up guys so ive been rocking my 2600k from some time now and its been a great processor but i think that i want to upgrade in december of next year so heres the thing  i could  build a new rig with haswell e  at the end of the year or  i could buy a new graphics card and wait   till next year for broadwell what do you guys think would be better?

It's hard to tell right now. Honestly the 2600k is great and I wouldn't upgrade more than the video card for a few more years. That is unless you do video or image editing there isn't a real reason to upgrade unless you just iching to. My guess the Haswell-e (new 2011 socket) is going to be a bit faster like 10% faster for the 6-core (over the current 2011) and 30% with the 8-core. That can mean a good for you if your willing to shell out the big bucks. As for the broadwell, it way to far out to even guess how big of a boost it will give other than DDR4 ram and SATA Express.

You're talking about things that you might be buying in over 6 months, it's impossible to make more than a general recommendation on that.  We don't have numbers on how Haswell-E will compare to Ivy/Sandy Bridge-E so no clue if it's really going to be any better other than offering 8 vs 6 cores (though arguably if you need a larger number of cores Xeons offer that today) DDR4's first gen likely wont bring much to the table.  Everyone's so excited about it but the benefits of EVERY OTHER DDR bump over the years have been minor at first so I expect more of the same personally.  Broadwell could be another Ivy Bridge/Haswell where it really brings little performance difference in the real world or in OC results but that's so far off who knows how that one might play out...could be another Sandy Bridge after all (one can hope)

The one thing I CAN say however is that if trends continue, Broadwell is going to give you better value for your money, but much like Sandy/Ivy-E now Haswell-E will be the workhorse get it done best of the best...if you're pay the price. 

Maybe if we knew your complete current rig specs. we could make some value add propositions for where your money might be best spent.  Usage patterns would help too.

The 2600K was (and still) is a dandy processor - especially when considering overclocking potential.

I had a similar question stick with x79 and upgrade my ram to a much larger amount, or leave it as is and buy a new motherboard, cpu (8-core) and DDR4 by years end. I'm currently at hexcore or skip x99 altogether.

Gains from the newer CPUs might look good on paper and benchmarks but with only a few specific exceptions in the work world such has high end rendering the difference would probably be unnoticeable for real use.

The key to an effective upgrade is to do it when you NEED to do it.

I had a similar question stick with x79 and upgrade my ram to a much larger amount, or leave it as is and buy a new motherboard, cpu (8-core) and DDR4 by years end. I'm currently at hexcore or skip x99 altogether.

I would say if your already on a 6-core you can skip this. I'm only upgrading because A) I like new things and B) the 8-core is going to be cheaper and faster than current xeons . As for DDR4 , I want to think it will be faster but who knows for real world preformance . I heard it starts out at 2100 and only going up . That means DDR3 and 4 is going to overlap a bit .

Maybe if we knew your complete current rig specs. we could make some value add propositions for where your money might be best spent.  Usage patterns would help too.

The 2600K was (and still) is a dandy processor - especially when considering overclocking potential.

asus maximus iv  extreme z

2600k overcloked to 4.3 ghz

two gtx 670s in sli  

16 gb g.skill 1600 mhz

JJ -

Based on your current system specs, I'm having a hard time justifying in my own mind why you are upgrading.  You've got a really solid build already, and other than satisfying the upgrade bug or the need to be on the cutting edge of everything, you aren't gaining much for the amount of money that you'd be spending on any one or more components.

If you aren't already using a SSD, that would be the first thing I'd add to your current build.  Then maybe spend money on a better monitor, keyboard or mouse?  Maybe even a better CPU cooler (air, water or AIO) and push your 2600K up to 4.5 or 4.6Ghz (where it will run comfortable, stable and cool easily with decent cooling).

JJ -

Based on your current system specs, I'm having a hard time justifying in my own mind why you are upgrading.  You've got a really solid build already, and other than satisfying the upgrade bug or the need to be on the cutting edge of everything, you aren't gaining much for the amount of money that you'd be spending on any one or more components.

If you aren't already using a SSD, that would be the first thing I'd add to your current build.  Then maybe spend money on a better monitor, keyboard or mouse?  Maybe even a better CPU cooler (air, water or AIO) and push your 2600K up to 4.5 or 4.6Ghz (where it will run comfortable, stable and cool easily with decent cooling).

i have crucial 128 gb ssd  i have corsair k70 keyboard and zowie gear  optical mouse also i have a noctua nhd14 cpu cooler