Linux as an OS

Jklein

Ok I have been a windows user most of my computing life before that I had an IBM ps2 50/60 with DOS 5.0 (Did I just date myself.) Anyway I'm looking at Linux to broaden horizons. Correct me if I'm wrong but from the tutorials I have watched so far the primary difference between desktop and server versions of Ubuntu Linux is that desktop has a GUI and server has LUI like in DOS?

So can I run anything you would in desktop on server Linux?

If so I'm guessing we would access it like we did in DOS? The good old fashioned C:/Startrek/Startrek.exe and hit return?

Edited by Jklein

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I believe Ubuntu editions are all the same, minus what default packages it installs. So Ubuntu Server is more focused on server stuff. It'll come without a GUI (you can install one), then it'll give you the option of installing stuff like Apache, MySQL and what not during the install.

Edited by AZNguyen

If so I'm guessing we would access it like we did in DOS? The good old fashioned C:/Startrek/Startrek.exe and hit return?

Yes, but Linux console commands are entirely different than DOS.

It will take some getting used to, you will get frustrated and you will curse Linus Torvalds to hell and back.

I grew up with DOS myself and I STILL type them into Linux on occasion, it is hard to break old habits.

Yes, but Linux console commands are entirely different than DOS.

It will take some getting used to, you will get frustrated and you will curse Linus Torvalds to hell and back.

I grew up with DOS myself and I STILL type them into Linux on occasion, it is hard to break old habits.

Yep, no more backslashes!

Also, anyone savvy can break into your machine in seconds regardless of the OS.

+1, I was on a school Mac at my old community college and came across a page of how to crack the admin code and did it lol

Not to mention if it's a good started distro, then it'd likely be easy for them to pick up too. They just won't be as familiar with what mischievous software they can run.

I don't see the point in Linux unless you don't already own Windows though, it may be less resource intensive but I imagine windows is more optimized for most hardware out there. (not to mention, more compatible)

I see the necessity of using a live Linux to fix a computer (or work on one that isn't windows based) but beyond that I don't see the big deal with it. PLENTY of sweet freeware exists on both (usually the same or better stuff on windows)

Disregard all of the above if it's simple boredom/curiousity, I just can't see why anyone'd choose Linux as their primary OS.

Edited by IVIYTH0S