Push Pin CPU HSF Mount

Upgrading to a quad-core CPU soon and with that an aftermarket HSF. I'm rethinking the cooler I had in mind because it is mounted via push pins. Has anyone encountered problems with this type of mount?

Note: I'm mounting this fan in an average mid-ATX case and the fan's dimensions are 92(W) x 92(H) x 25(D)mm. I chose a HSF of this size due to the size of my case. Component details below. I won't be doing any overclocking, I just want to keep my CPU below 43 C.

CPU: Phenom II x4 840

HSF: XIGMATEK cobra - d984 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler

Upgrading to a quad-core CPU soon and with that an aftermarket HSF. I'm rethinking the cooler I had in mind because it is mounted via push pins. Has anyone encountered problems with this type of mount?

Note: I'm mounting this fan in an average mid-ATX case and the fan's dimensions are 92(W) x 92(H) x 25(D)mm. I chose a HSF of this size due to the size of my case. Component details below. I won't be doing any overclocking, I just want to keep my CPU below 43 C.

CPU: Phenom II x4 840

HSF: XIGMATEK cobra - d984 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler

I would not go with push pins at all. They are fine and will get the job done, but since they can break, and they don't really apply a good amount of pressure, I would steer clear. What particular case do you have? I have a feeling you are underestimating your case, or it is not a standard Mid tower case.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, my case is an IKONIK CS1200BK Optimus. I also have side panel fans insalled so there is an inch of space less inside the case.

Hmmmmmm well you have a few options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119151

I have no freaking clue as to what this cooler can do. I don't know if it will cool better than the xigmatek one, but I do know a few things about it. 1: it looks nice :biggrin: and 2: it is a screw down :thumbsup:

You don't need performance, so if this thing is as quiet as it claims to be, I think you would be happier with this one.

Second option.

If you do NOT have led lights on that side fan, what you can do is buy a low profile fan, and have the ability to stall a much taller heat sink like the hyper 212+.

Hmmmmmm well you have a few options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119151

I have no freaking clue as to what this cooler can do. I don't know if it will cool better than the xigmatek one, but I do know a few things about it. 1: it looks nice :biggrin: and 2: it is a screw down :thumbsup:

You don't need performance, so if this thing is as quiet as it claims to be, I think you would be happier with this one.

Second option.

If you do NOT have led lights on that side fan, what you can do is buy a low profile fan, and have the ability to stall a much taller heat sink like the hyper 212+.

LOL and I DO happen to have LEDs on both side fans. I'll measure and see what I can fit in there. I have an old Zalman that has similar dimensions to the CNPS9700 and that one seemed to be touching the side panel fans if it were installed. I couldn't install it due to missing bracket pieces.

My current heatsink (Xigmatek S1283) has been installed with pushpins for just about two years now, no issues at all.

But you have to admit, they're a pain in the butt.

I had a Xigmatek Achilles for a while and loved it, but then I upgraded to a CoolIT Eco ALC, which had a screw-down system. I don't think I could ever go back to pushpins again.

But you have to admit, they're a pain in the butt.
Good god they're a total pain in the ass to get seated right.

But if you do it properly they are designed to hold the heatsink to the motherboard and do do the job quite well as long as you aren't adding heavy fans and things to them.

I had the mid tower case also and went with a cm tx3, also a 92 mm fan,but i added a second fanfor push pull config, also have a 120 mm side fan built further out to quiet the noise, I run a amd 550 at 4 cores 3600 mhz and it never goes above 50c with prime. You might consider that one.

I had the mid tower case also and went with a cm tx3, also a 92 mm fan,but i added a second fanfor push pull config, also have a 120 mm side fan built further out to quiet the noise, I run a amd 550 at 4 cores 3600 mhz and it never goes above 50c with prime. You might consider that one.

Thanks for that. Those dimensions are perfect for my case and it is hard to find any review that uses AMD processors. I'll definately add another fan for a push/pull effect. I wont be OCing because, quite honestly, I fear my board can't handle it.

On a side note, nice job pulling the x2 to a x4! I have heard many horror stories of how unstable the CPUs become after unlocking the other cores.