Smp Windows Client

Fueler

Ok now I'm starting to get a little PO'd

I attached (or at least I hope I did) the log files from my dual folding rig.

As far as I can tell they are identical.....neither one shows any sign of a problem yet stanford has only given me 25 points credit for the two WU's that Folding_1 finished but correctly credited Folding _2 3520 points for the exact same WU's that Folding_1 completed.

So what are my options here?.....is there somebodys ear I can chew? :glare:

I would go to the folding forum and post about it, they should check it out for you, I guess they will give you credit... :unsure:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very familiar with VMWare......but I prefer to set up a dual boot and run Linux as a native OS B:)

I figured you knew what you were doing, just figured I'd throw it out there. I too prefer native Linux, however it's too much of a hassle when I want to game to switch back and forth. VMWare makes it easy for me.

I figured you knew what you were doing, just figured I'd throw it out there. I too prefer native Linux, however it's too much of a hassle when I want to game to switch back and forth. VMWare makes it easy for me.

You're right about the hassle of switching back and forth but I have a couple of rigs that are (or were) strickly for folding and those are the ones I'd run Linux natively on the others I'd run in VMWare. B:)

C'mon guys, no one noticed the machine IDs??? It's the first thing I checked and they're the same. You need separate machine IDs to run 2 instances on the same rig. Actually, you need a different machine ID for each instance of F@H on the same rig, SMP or GPU2.

Well if Stanford is right (and I think they are) then I caused my problem of only getting credit on one machine. I must have 10 or more Windows XP install disks laying around in various forms (full retail, OEM, Pro, Home, etc) so to make things easy when I set up this dual rig I installed XP on one and cloned it to the other (using a different authorization#).

Now Stanford is telling me that their servers think both of my rigs are the same machine and that I need to remove the UserID from the registry on one machine so that their servers can assign it a new User ID. I checked the logs of both rigs and sure as s*** both rigs were assigned the same User ID. Sooooo.....how do I remove the UserID from the registry??? :blush:

C'mon guys, no one noticed the machine IDs??? It's the first thing I checked and they're the same. You need separate machine IDs to run 2 instances on the same rig. Actually, you need a different machine ID for each instance of F@H on the same rig, SMP or GPU2.

Your Right,.......just figured that out a little while ago......but these two clients are not installed on the same machine they are installed on to completely different rigs that happen to be identical right down to the OS which I had cloned from one rig to the other. Can I just change the Machine ID on one rig to 2?......will that solve the problem? :unsure:

Your Right,.......just figured that out a little while ago......but these two clients are not installed on the same machine they are installed on to completely different rigs that happen to be identical right down to the OS which I had cloned from one rig to the other. Can I just change the Machine ID on one rig to 2?......will that solve the problem? :unsure:

I always thought that machine ID was to differentiate between clients on one OS. However, it couldn't hurt to try it. It will work no matter what the machine ID is.

You only need different machines IDs if running more than one client on the same machine, since you cloned it that explains it. Change one of them with -configonly flag...

I changed one of them to machine ID 2.......since Stanford's servers think this is one machine I guess this should fix it. Just have to wait and see. B:)

Edit: Heard back from Stanford and turns out changing the UserID takes all of about 10 seconds......soooo one of the rigs has a new UserID and it's set to Machine 2.

While all this other stuff has been going on I set up two other rigs with the 6.23 SMP client. The first was my main office/gaming rig which has already completed 2 WU's without any problems. The second rig was my bedroom HTPC which has also completed it's first WU with no problems. I also noticed that the 6.23 client runs all cores on my quad AMD Phenom at 100%.....the client I was using 6 months ago averaged between 50% and 75%. I had to run 2 instances of the client to get 100% usage on the cpu but it also crashed or hung at the end all the time. So far so good....the only problems I've had, I caused myself. B:)