HD 6970 vs HD 5970

Ruchit

Hey am looking to upgrade my gpu and not wanting to spend over 400 on it. I was thinking of either the 5970 or 6970. what do you guys think is better? is 5970 cf possible? thanks. Sadly i still have a q6600 overclocked to 3.7ghz, am i getting a bottleneck with this cpu with any of these cards? currently i have a 4870x2 as my gpu.

5970 CF is possible but some games dont use quad fire effectively with all 4 GPU's. But I think a Q6600 at 3.7GHz would definately bottleneck quadfire, maybe even trifire.

A single 5970 beats a single HD6970 :)

a 5970 is better than a 6970, but if you have 400 to spend are you able to hold out a little longer and save to 500 for a 680? that is faster than a 5970 and has the advantage of being a single gpu card, uses heaps less power and has no scaling issues in games like crossfire and sli can have.

if not there is someone selling a pair of used 6950s for $205 each, which will be faster than a 6970 or 5970 by a long shot

that for sale thread is here: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=191147

another option is wait for kelpers midrange cards to come out, those will be very fast cards too

or look at getting a amd 7870, which is faster than a 6970 and a 5970 (overclocked)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102981

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121624

there are plenty of upgrade options for you now :thumbsup:

and welcome to the OCC :cheers:

Edited by Muchoman1

What resolution are you running and are you actually having any issues with the 4870x2?? I'd imagine that should match pretty much max out everything at nearly all single monitor resolutions, unless you wanted DX11 support.

Going from a 4870X2 to either would be a nice upgrade...but I'd wait just a little longer and get a 680 unless you get a killer deal on one of those two cards.

thanks for the help, im trying to play mostly all games on max for a 2560x1440 monitor im about to get, 4870x2 is a good card but i have the diablo 3 beta and kinda has moments dropped fps, and if im in a party will drop to about 30-40fps ranges, i was wondering if its my processor holding the card back or just the card itself? but i suppose i can just hang a bit longer for newer cards.

For 2560x1440 you would need at least 7970 to max out the games that use DX11 lol

:rolleyes:

Maxing out games is a pointless goal...especially with how poorly some games are optimized. :lol:

:rolleyes:

Maxing out games is a pointless goal...especially with how poorly some games are optimized. :lol:

What are you rolling your eyes for ? I simply stated that he would need at least a 7970 because the OP said he wanted to play games on max at 2560x1440 which is no easy task for a single 6970 or 5970 but you obviously didnt read :haha: