Revisiting an old addiction

Boinker

well the Overclocking bug bit me again. So that takes me to my system. recently having taken out my watercooling loop and Needing to rebuild it I put all the Stock coolers back on my 3 gtx 480's and went to benching. After tweaking around for a few hours Here are the results. Don't laugh too hard. These 480's are pushing 3 years old and by hardware years they are ancient by now. :lol: The question for you is How long has it been sense you pushed your system?? 

For me, I think about a Year now. If you are at or near this isnt it about time you took yours for a ride.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7469260

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System Platform:
Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel® Core™ i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (3200MHz) x6
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 9.18.13.1407 (1535MB) x2
Settings Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Extreme HD

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't touched my system since last year really. During summer I turn down my overclocks because the heat from my computer overpowers the central air... Lol. Just a few weeks ago now, I finally brought it back to winter clocks, but it wasn't stable to I had to mess with it again. 4.2GHz and a nice 875/1750/2100 on my sli 570's.

Overall it was actually just the QPI voltage that needed to be bumped a bit. Memory controller didn't much care for 2000mhz+ speeds I guess.

Dude, When I get my Other case Fabricated and built I need to get My old 950 out and have a hay-day. Its been to long sense I had to deal with the Greatness. :D That is the I7-950

Lets see some scores there Mercurydoun

I'd say it's been a year or so for me as well. And in the mean time I've gotten a new CPU cooler, a GTX 670 and a room without a working heater (PC has been folding every time I leave my room). So maybe I should give it a shot later this week.

How long has it been sense you pushed your system?? 

48 hours... Only because the 4670K is out of the system since a 4770K is on its way  :P

I feel sorry for those saying they haven't tried overclocking for a whole year or longer... This is Overclockers Club after all !  

There is Lawn bowls club or the Golf club if you're feeling too old for this stuff and would rather live a nice retired life without having to worry about random BSODs  :teehee:

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 FPS:

Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

Not that bad actually...

My old GTX690 got 88FPS oc'ed so GTX480 tri-SLI is just above a GTX680 in that, but in 3D Mark 11 those 480s are quite close to the GTX690s and HD7990s.

Edited by Knight_72

Maybe I'll finally overclock my 7950 since I finally fixed the high def textures in skyrim so it looks amazing but it's got some light chop at times.

Hasn't the game been out exactly 2 years already ?  :teehee: Better late than never I suppose lol

about two weeks ago i updated my bios to the latest issue and lost ALOT of overclocking capability and speed, i.e, with the initial bios i was able to hit and hold 5ghz for a few minutes before the temps would go thru the roof and shut me down. with the latest bios i can barely hit 4.85 at tjmax...and there are other issues that don't measure up with this bios so i'm considering reverting back to the original issue...

i guess the point is that i still play around with overclocking this thing because it's a favorite hobby of mine...something i enjoy doing when i'm home...

and as for the 7970's, they do occasionally get overclocked too but usually only if i'm benchmarking...

Maybe I'll finally overclock my 7950 since I finally fixed the high def textures in skyrim so it looks amazing but it's got some light chop at times.

Hasn't the game been out exactly 2 years already ?  :teehee: Better late than never I suppose lol

Maaaaybe, lol. It was always butter but then I realized all my graphical mods weren't loading in the right order to all work to their best and optimized it. Now it looks phenomenal but with some hiccups here and there. It's probably been almost a year since I've overclocked anything (other than phones lol)

I feel for you CJ.  The latest BIOS sometimes isn't the best BIOS for overclocking.  They fix one thing and break another   :)

Is the performance per clock any better?