Need a good 4TB External Drive

Black64

So I am in need of some extra space and I am haven't bought any HDDs for awhile. Mostly will be used just for storage, speed is not very important.

Looking at these so far. Would like to keep the price down. 

Seagate 4TB

HGST 4TB

But I can't find much else? Any help is great.

Thanks!

Hey Black - not that it will beat those prices, but have you considered a dedicated enclosure and installing your own hard drive in the enclosure.  I go that route so if the drive ever fails I can just replace the drive and not the entire assembly.

Just a thought.

Hey Black - not that it will beat those prices, but have you considered a dedicated enclosure and installing your own hard drive in the enclosure.  I go that route so if the drive ever fails I can just replace the drive and not the entire assembly.

Just a thought.

So maybe something like this

And then buy those external HDDs and pull the drives out (cheaper then internals)?

Edited by Black64

That's a really nice box, but I wasn't even thinking something that fancy.  I was thinking more along the lines of this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

I've been using these for a while.  They are affordable and very very durable.  I've even accidently dropped one three feet off a shelf and onto a tile floor and the enclosure + 1Tb WD hard drive survived the fall.

They make a silver version too  :)

That's a really nice box, but I wasn't even thinking something that fancy.  I was thinking more along the lines of this;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

I've been using these for a while.  They are affordable and very very durable.  I've even accidently dropped one three feet off a shelf and onto a tile floor and the enclosure + 1Tb WD hard drive survived the fall.

They make a silver version too   :)

Interesting, but I would need one with 4 bays for upgrading. I think I will be able to get a away with just having a external for now though.

I'm not sure but those enclosures look as if they are sealed? I've been wanting to get a 3.25 external enclosure. My laptop just has too big of a hdd that I'll never fill up a 320GB suits me just fine when it comes to laptops if you believe it or not.

I remember having to prey open a 3.25 seagate enclosure then I was able to use the sata to usb port on any drive.

But yeah that's a great deal, and if you download a lot should suit you gratefully.

Firstly, sorry for the late posting.

Seagate 4TB expansion driver is pretty good.

If you can get hold of 4TB Seagate Backup plus, then it would be slightly better choice. But again, it will cost higher than expansion drive..

What did you end up getting?

I definitely am with those recommending an "internal" harddrive with your own enclosure, it gives you so much more versatility (for usage and recovery's sake) and often a longer warranty while USUALLY being cheaper