CentOS netinstall problems v. 6.0

SpeedCrazy

Hey guys,

I am doing a fresh updated instal of centos and am having trouble configuring it.

Previously i installed from a live CD and had no trouble but now i am using netinstall to save bandwidth and time.

I have got as far as configuring the network. Bear in mind this is on a vm.

Address is 192.168.1.13 as that is the one i reserved on my router as a static ip. But i am begining to wonder if that is how it works, as it connects through my workstation(as its a vm) and the ws ip is 192.168.1.11. Should the vm not be a sub ip, if such a thing exists?

DNS servers i know, but what is search domains?

Thanks,

Speed

EDIT: I think i must have been right.

So how do i set this up?

EDIT: I think i need to turn the machine off and configure one of the adapters as a bridged adapter instead of a NAT adapter. Then that should let me configure the IP as 192.168.1.13.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

Okay, i set it up using a bridge adapter through my ethernet port and it managed to connect and download all of the required packages and install them, however now that i am inside centos it gives me connect: Network is Unreachable ????? I cant figure it out.

I've encountered some odd network behavior in the past when using CentOS as VM. I would try deleting and re-adding your network devices in your VM. Make sure the devices are active when you are done.

Just out of curiosity, what are you using it for?

Edited by Lackadaisical

Hopefully a dev-server. But we shall see. As this is taking so many retries i am now downloading the i386 dvd iso instead of constantly re-downloading all of the packages for a net install. And 64-bit is out the window as it needs TWO dvds!!!! ITs asking for 5 hours a 10mb/s for 1 dvd..........

I wanted to move my devserver from xamp so i could use BIND to point a dn at it, but as you can see if you look at my other thread BIND is treating me even worse so i may just install this and leave it at that. I have been trying to find a distribution of linux with a solid webserver i could learn on a vm until i find a dedicated dev server so installation that would be a breeze. Plus i just want learn some linux.

You'll have to look at what virtual networks the virtualisation program has enabled, and what network/subnet they are on, and then set the manual IP of the VM/CentOS to an IP in that range....

If you want an IP in the same range as your 192.168.1.x network, you use bridged networking... you might find it easier to initially set the network settings of CentOS to DHCP/Automatic until you are certain which network is connecting correctly.

CentOS is an excellent distro of linux... we use 5.4-5.6 on most of our servers (>100 dedicated), so if CentOS 6 is being a pain, settling for 5.6 isn't bad, it just means you have to upgrade PHP basically

Well, 5.6 went looking for an AMD northbridge and failling to find one it hung. As in i told it i wanted to do a GUI install and it started scanning and initializing hardware and then got stuck on AMD Northbridge not accessible.

LOL lackadasical, thats what i though. I though that after the pain of installing gentoo(long story, broke it) CentOS would be a breeze.