Windows 8.1 Recovery Drive

gebraset

Lately I've been making backups of both of my computers, just in case they should one day crash or encounter an irrecoverable error. These backups are created through the Windows backup too, and as such, can only be recognized when Windows is present on the drive and can boot up into the advanced boot menu. From my understanding, if my hard drive totally failed and took all of the data with it, I would need to utilize a Recovery Drive made from Windows (USB thumb drive) in order to allow the computer to recognize my backup.

As long as this is all correct, let's proceed to my actual question, lol.  :teehee:

Since Windows 8.1 will only let you use a USB drive to create the Recovery Drive, I am looking into using a USB thumb drive. The question is, can I use the same thumb drive for both computers? Are the recovery drive files the same no matter what computer they are built off of? If not, can I still use one thumb drive to store the recovery drive data of both computers?

Hopefully this question makes sense and is clear.  :whistling:

Laptop manufacturers don't give out install discs anymore for the most part, there is a partition that features backup capability. The issue is if the hard drive crashes, the ability to read the Windows image that I personally backed up is lost, hence need for a USB Recovery Drive.

I just did a win8.1 reset the other day.  When I made the usb recovery drive, windows wipes the drive before writing and also says to not use it for anything else.  I didn't actually need the usb drive during the reset but I would worry that windows doesn't give you the option of choosing a partition if you had two on there.  

So, windows says no. But still maybe?  Just get another drive, they're cheap anyway.

BTW, I think the whole new refresh/reset/restore thing that win8 has got going is great and easy to use.  Not sure how effective a reset is if there are serious problems going on, but I'll probably end up having to try it one day. 

No manufacturer gives windows restore disks unless you pay extra and order one from them, and even then some don't. They put the factory restore on a partition on the hd which means if the hd dies then your restore is useless. That's why it's important to make a backup of your os and have a usb boot drive made.

In the advanced boot menu, you have the ability to choose to restore Windows from a backed up image. I am assuming that you receive the same options with a USB Restore Drive.

RedFury77, is there anyway that you can test the USB Recovery Drive on another Windows 8.1 machine to see if it recognizes it and works? I don't have a USB flash drive now, or I'd attempt it myself. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to buy two flash drive now, or if I can just grab one and make it work on both machine (as I am thinking that the USB Recovery Drive would be the same across any computer, as long as the OS matches).