192khz Sound Card

ericgcollyer

All speakers can play back 192khz sample rate so long as they have the dac that can convert a 192khz source into a analog signal. I know of almost no speaker that can produce a 44khz sound wave without being something like an electrostatic speaker or a plasma speaker. Plus it would be stupid to may money for that feature considering there is no way on earth that you would be even able to hear that type of sound anyways.

we are stil saying and agreeing on the same things. I guess I should have said sound waves to be techinal about it.

This could be poor wording, or me staying up till 2 trying to get a project done. 

At face value, this is untrue. Again, sample rate (at an extremely basic level) has to deal with the quality of the analog signal being produced, or it refers to the level of quality the digital source retains from the analog signal.

I think we are still saying the same thing right? ie. 16/24bit is the sample rate at which the wave from is obtained. frequence is the range at which the wave form is sampled at. if you have 16-bit / 44khz. that means from 0-44,000hz its sampling @ 16-bits. Simple and straight forward.

Frequency response should not be in the same conversation as sample rate.

Correct

Unless you are talking about the controversy between 44.1khz sample rates (CD quality) vs 96khz or 192 khz sample rates? But then why bring up frequency response?

Because regardless of the same rate you will not find speakers to produce that range of sound. ie sound waves

"but you are not going to find any 44khz speaker less than a few hundred, that's why I was saying a super high quailty sound card is pointless . just need a decent one . "

The ONLY reason it would be silly to get a high end sound card is if you could have gotten dedicated hardware for the same price of the sound card.

hmmm maybe..I still think most audio sound the same unless you have dedicated stuff, so whats the point.

Usually higher end sound cards have more features and a better design than their lower end counterparts. Case in point, there is a massive sound quality difference between the asus DX and the asus stx.

I didn't think of that. very true but really it's just marketing...

Also sorry to hijack the thread from the op. back on subject?

All speakers can play back 192khz sample rate so long as they have the dac that can convert a 192khz source into a analog signal. I know of almost no speaker that can produce a 44khz sound wave without being something like an electrostatic speaker or a plasma speaker. Plus it would be stupid to may money for that feature considering there is no way on earth that you would be even able to hear that type of sound anyways.

we are stil saying and agreeing on the same things. I guess I should have said sound waves to be techinal about it.

ok

This could be poor wording, or me staying up till 2 trying to get a project done. 

At face value, this is untrue. Again, sample rate (at an extremely basic level) has to deal with the quality of the analog signal being produced, or it refers to the level of quality the digital source retains from the analog signal.

I think we are still saying the same thing right? ie. 16/24bit is the sample rate at which the wave from is obtained. frequence is the range at which the wave form is sampled at. if you have 16-bit / 44khz. that means from 0-44,000hz its sampling @ 16-bits. Simple and straight forward.

16bit or 24 bit is the bit depth and not the sample rate. nonono When you are sampling music at 44.1khz, that means you are sampling the rate at a CONSTANT rate per second. (it is 8 in the morning so I do not remember all the wave functions right now, but I want to say that the sample rate is using the formula f=1/T where f is the frequency and T is the period of the motion of the wave.). There is no 0 - XXX value in sample rates. It just is a single value. 

Essentially it means that no matter the frequency of the sound....even if you stick a microphones in a vacuum and push the record button, the audio feed will STILL be sampled at 44.1-192khz. 

Frequency response should not be in the same conversation as sample rate.

Correct

Unless you are talking about the controversy between 44.1khz sample rates (CD quality) vs 96khz or 192 khz sample rates? But then why bring up frequency response?

Because regardless of the same rate you will not find speakers to produce that range of sound. ie sound waves

Then we are not talking about the same thing and you and I will have a PM discussion about that. 

"but you are not going to find any 44khz speaker less than a few hundred, that's why I was saying a super high quailty sound card is pointless . just need a decent one . "

The ONLY reason it would be silly to get a high end sound card is if you could have gotten dedicated hardware for the same price of the sound card.

hmmm maybe..I still think most audio sound the same unless you have dedicated stuff, so whats the point.

Not true at all. 

Usually higher end sound cards have more features and a better design than their lower end counterparts. Case in point, there is a massive sound quality difference between the asus DX and the asus stx.

I didn't think of that. very true but really it's just marketing...

Nope. I have been too busy to post on OCC for a while, what do you think I have been doing? I have been spending all my money on audio equipment because that darn stonerboy got me hooked. I have compared many sound cards....it is not just marketing. 

Also sorry to hijack the thread from the op. back on subject?

Yes sorry. 

Sample rate / 2 is the highest frequency you can sample...and aliasing can get pretty bad when you approach or exceed that frequency (called the Nyquist frequency).

If you can't hear past 20 KHz there's not much point to getting a setup that can.

That said - higher sampling rates and bit depths do offer increased resolution, dynamic range, and overall clarity regardless of the speakers being driven...but your speakers and sources matter a hell of a lot more than the sound card you choose to utilize.

Sample rate / 2 is the highest frequency you can sample...and aliasing can get pretty bad when you approach or exceed that frequency (called the Nyquist frequency).

If you can't hear past 20 KHz there's not much point to getting a setup that can.

That said - higher sampling rates and bit depths do offer increased resolution, dynamic range, and overall clarity regardless of the speakers being driven...but your speakers and sources matter a hell of a lot more than the sound card you choose to utilize.

I would even like to add that most people can not even tell the difference in quality between 44.1khz and 192khz. Anything that is sampled below 44.1khz starts to loose a significant amount of quality. 

However, the sound card is somewhat more important especially for audio editing. Plus, depending on what headphones he needs, he might need the asus stx for the discrete amp. 

In the end, the best guess I have for a sound card is either the asus STX or the new creative ZxR. If the OP does not need to listen to his music with a 192khz sample rate to edit his music, then he could probably get away with a schiit magni and modi, and simply use a asus DSX as a capture card. 

To be honest, I didn't mean to start such a flame war. Or rather, I didn't mean to start such a heated discussion. I have a set of Shure srh840s which is what I use for most of my editing. I agree that it is tough to tell the difference between 44.1 and 192 khz, but with a nice set of cans there is a difference. I did end up going with the creative card and it should be here by Thursday.