EVE Online

NikoDG

I played EVE for a long time, build a solid corporation from scratch and even ran an alliance for about 3 months. It is a great game but the aspects that make it great also make it weak. Open world PvP system is amazing, giving a real sense of competition and accomplishment right out of the gate. The same however open PvP design really creates a haven for grievers and new players tend to get mauled unless they hook up with an experience and long term group out of the gate. The problem with that however is the long term groups do not like taking on new players as the open PvP design creates a soy mentality that other players in other groups use to gain intel.

If you enjoy that Machiavellian, backstabbing, cut throat style of play then EVE is for you, there is no other like it.

I played EVE for a long time, build a solid corporation from scratch and even ran an alliance for about 3 months. It is a great game but the aspects that make it great also make it weak. Open world PvP system is amazing, giving a real sense of competition and accomplishment right out of the gate. The same however open PvP design really creates a haven for grievers and new players tend to get mauled unless they hook up with an experience and long term group out of the gate. The problem with that however is the long term groups do not like taking on new players as the open PvP design creates a soy mentality that other players in other groups use to gain intel.

If you enjoy that Machiavellian, backstabbing, cut throat style of play then EVE is for you, there is no other like it.

I think cut-throat is putting it mildly :P

I got severely raped today in WH space unfortunately, I'm living in a C6 as part of an alliance and I was running in some new ships, I ran in a cloaky Proteus first, then went back for a Naga. On my way back in I passed a Loki, then things started to get interesting, luckily I made it into warp, then there's a Broadsword on the other WH. I jumped through to the other WH (home system) and the alliance was already starting to mobilize, I turned on my MWD and started burning away from the WH as I was warp distrupted, trying to lure them away. Then a Curse shows up, lol, there goes my hardeners, guns, and MWD. Finally the alliance shows up to back me up, Chimera, some Tengus, Rook, that sorta stuff (we live in a Pulsar by the way). Then to our dismay ten red Tengus, two Bhaalgorns, and a blaster Rohk. Long story short we got royally raped, lol, lost my Naga, a Golem, and a Tengu, then three pods (thanks to the Broadsword's bubble), luckily everyone else escaped. Let me tell you, that game gets really exciting really fast, this all took place in under five minutes.

What i like about EVE is that it has a diverse, living universe. Build, lead, conquer, gank, scam, research, mine, explore and much more - you can do it all. However i do find the PvE side of the game to be rather weak/boring. Also, i find a fair (which is X vs X number of people) PvP to be completely absent from the game. Would be nice to have an arena-style thunderdome somewhere near Jita where teams can be matched against other teams with the same type of ships/number of players setup. But thats pretty much the only thing i found lacking :P

As i said, great game, great fun. And it always warms your heart when you read the number in real money loss in killmail and think - damn, i just really ruined someone's day :D