AMD Chips vs Intel Chips

Well the i5 didn't do much better, and I used Wow because thats the mmo that most people play.

And the little google searching i did it seems that FF is more dependent on the gpu than the cpu.

Edited by slick2500

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind getting max usage from my 7950 for once... not sure AMD will provide that

the 7950 is not bottlenecked by your processor lol, it is the other way around.

I wouldn't mind getting max usage from my 7950 for once... not sure AMD will provide that

Then why do I always see 70% gpu usage apart from KSP when I sometimes get 90%?

If you get 70% usage on your card, then something else is wrong.

Try running the heaven 4.0 benchmark and see if you still get 70%.

Am getting 90+% and jumps to 60% on extreme, but I never see 90+% in game usage, the main culprit seems to be the cpu

Am getting 90+% and jumps to 60% on extreme, but I never see 90+% in game usage, the main culprit seems to be the cpu

I really think something else is going on, might be a good idea to make a topic about this because i highly doubt a six-core phenom could bottleneck a card like the 7950.

Might not be a bad idea to overclock it to 3.2 GHz and see what it does then, if it is still 60/70% then you know for sure it isn't the processor.

Most definitely not as I check the settings as soon as I install a game and disable vertical sync. It just sucks :/

Well just because your GPU isn't maxed doesn't mean it's bottlenecked.

If you're getting smooth framerates it's entirely possible you just aren't running things that would max it out anyway. I don't think I'd put KSP on the list of anything "graphically intensive". It chokes on ALL CPUs.

I've always been a fan of AMD, I like their products and their price accordingly.

However, there are tons of people that choose Intel over AMD. 

To start I'll compare my CPU that I've owned for almost 3 years now, to an Intel chip that runs at just about the same speed. Here.

AMD Phenom II965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz (OC'd to 3.8 GHz) - $99.99

vs.

Intel i7-4820K Ivy Bridge 3.7GHz (Turbo 3.9 GHz) - $324.99

Why is there such a huge price difference if supposedly they run approximately at the same speed?

note; I've played on some Intel Core built PCs that are way more powerful than I imagined. What am I missing here?

There is alot more to CPU's now then just looking at the clock speed as others have noted. That variable of measurement seemed to of died with the single core CPU era.

Intel is the more superior CPU, but not always the best for the budget. Case and point, if building a PC and you need the best CPU under 130$ that would be the FX 6300. If you need more horses then that, then I almost always recommend bumping up to the i5's. I personally would pretty much always take an I5 over an FX 8 core, simply due to the real world performance of the Intel architecture outweighs that of AMD's. Per core and Per clock performance of the i5's well outperform AMD's. I ve built more Intel and AMD rigs then I can shake a stick at and my Intel rigs are usually noticeably faster, more responsive and just overall smoother to operate. Not saying AMD is bad, as I said it always boils down to getting the best bang for your particular buck.