Nehalem/core I7 Evaluation

Nemo

I'm wondering if any of those benchmarks would be comparable to encoding subs into a movie? I'm curious how fast it would be to encode subs to a hd movie. Currently it takes this rig hours to do it. Or does the speed of the encode rely on something else other than the CPU? I'm waiting for a chance to upgrade, this may be it if the price is right. I bought this when A64 X2 were still expensive :( .

Edited by Krazyxazn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How hot did it run at stock with the TRUE?

They look good...but not that good.

I guess we'll see if AMD has anything up their sleeves, eh? ^_^

Are there any memory voltage limitations because Intel put the memory controller on die?

Excellent review ccokeman!

Intel really dished out as expected, and of course the rumors were true, Nehalem is a true upgrade in real world performance although when it comes to gaming it's just as good as your average 45nm processor. But its obvious gaming was not their biggest concern.

The new memory controller location certanly was a smart choice by Intel, the results are incredible!

Just curious I wonder how it would compare to AMD's top offering in memory/latency tests. If Core I7 really does pounce all over AMD in that category, it's going to be funny with what a naive AMD "fanboy" will come up next as an excuse.

DIGG?

Once again great review :)

Edited by damian

The biggest thing that sucks about this is it seems Intel is trying to put us overclockers out of business or at least put a damper on it. The 130w limiter on the 920 and 940 doesn't impress me at all. Ive always bought Intel from the first Pentium to Northwoods to now and I hate to say this but I think their dominance in the market is starting to show with this. They don't have to compete with AMD anymore so they are trying to lock down overclocking so people have to buy $1000 cpus to get the huge overclocks we've seen with the C2D and C2Q. To me it sucks that they are trying to put the brakes on a growing hobby and the thrill that is the reason alot of us put together systems in the first place. I could see if the unlocked ones were even in the $400 to $600 range, but $1000 especially the way the economy is right now. They are trying to create a market that frankly isn't there. I never thought I would say this but AMD needs to come back and in a big way.

Edited by troy5061

Quite impressive offering by Intel, even if it doesn't really perform in the gaming department....if I was to build a work rig I would definitely use a Core i7... In the meantime I'll just pick up an E8600, hopefully this makes prices drop!

-Now to wait and see how Shanghai performs :P

The biggest thing that sucks about this is it seems Intel is trying to put us overclockers out of business or at least put a damper on it. The 130w limiter on the 920 and 940 doesn't impress me at all. Ive always bought Intel from the first Pentium to Northwoods to now and I hate to say this but I think their dominance in the market is starting to show with this. They don't have to compete with AMD anymore so they are trying to lock down overclocking so people have to buy $1000 cpus to get the huge overclocks we've seen with the C2D and C2Q. To me it sucks that they are trying to put the brakes on a growing hobby and the thrill that is the reason alot of us put together systems in the first place. I could see if the unlocked ones were even in the $400 to $600 range, but $1000 especially the way the economy is right now. They are trying to create a market that frankly isn't there. I never thought I would say this but AMD needs to come back and in a big way.

I had hoped that was only a rumor.... If its serious I'm going to build an AMD rig next... Doesn't Intel realize that its shutting off 3/4 of its enthusiast market? I'm sure they realize that the enthusiast is the true proponent of their product.

I'm wondering if any of those benchmarks would be comparable to encoding subs into a movie? I'm curious how fast it would be to encode subs to a hd movie. Currently it takes this rig hours to do it. Or does the speed of the encode rely on something else other than the CPU? I'm waiting for a chance to upgrade, this may be it if the price is right. I bought this when A64 X2 were still expensive :( .

:blink: Why are you hardcoding subtitles to HD movies? Use an overlay!!! Transcoding like that hurts picture quality and hardcoded subs are just aweful.

I'm sure they realize that the enthusiast is the true proponent of their product.

Do you really believe this?

I'm not happy about the possibility of limits like this, but let's be realistic. Overclockers are an extraordinarily small slice of Intel's market (or AMD's, by comparison). On a board like this it may seem that tons of people OC, but compared to all the chips that sit in pre-built machines at stock speed for their entire lives, OC'd chips are an incredibly small percentage. When you figure in the number of fanboys who either A) won't know the difference or B) will buy Intel no matter what, I bet this would have a relatively small negative impact on their bottom line if they did it.

Sad but true.