Cpu fan no taller than 120mm

lawzy

Hey community.

I have been looking on this forum and other places online for information about a good CPU fan that is either 120mm high or low profile that will fit an am3+ motherboard i have had no look and was wondering if this community has any ideas.

There are some problems with my rig though.

1. The case is 7 inches wide so roughly 178 mm and my motherboard sticks out about 30 mm and my side case fan is 25 mm
  2.  I can't access the rear of my motherboard so all CPU fans that need the special mounting bracket are out.
  3.  I intend to do some light overclocking but nothing extreme so efficiency is of semi importance.

I will give you guys my spec just incase it helps.

• AMD FX4170 quad core @ 4.2 ((stock CPU cooler) the reason i wish to change it is due to temps of 57C at full load using prime95)
  • Nvidia 9400 GT (this will be upgraded soon to a AMD Radeon HD 7770)
  • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
  • 500GB HDD
  • 1 Arctic f12 fan (intake)
  • 2 Arctic f12 pwm fans (side case)
  • 2 Artiic f8 fans (exhaust)
  • 8GB Ram

If anymore information is needed feel free to ask.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you looking for a heatsink or a case fan?  I'm confused by your post because it sounds like you need a rear fan but I don't know why you need exactly 25mm.

In any case, newegg and other sites have tons (40+) 120 fans that are 25mm thick.

You can look into an ali in one water cooling setup since you have a 120mm fan port.  Otherwise plenty of companies make coolers that has the fans blowing down towards the board (aka short) Cooler master, Thermaltake, Phanteks, Noctua, lots of others.

Noctua makes a few "lay down" coolers that perform very well with chips that are rated for much higher heat then the one you are using.

Have a look and see what one you like. I just posted one link to service them all rather then three so scroll down a bit and sift.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008000+50012454&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=574&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

are you looking for a heatsink or a case fan?  I'm confused by your post because it sounds like you need a rear fan but I don't know why you need exactly 25mm.

In any case, newegg and other sites have tons (40+) 120 fans that are 25mm thick.

I agree because bullet number 2 and the comment by your cpu spec makes it sound like you want a new heatsink.  Which if thats the case then you have no option but to remove the stock one and probably upgrade to one that has a back plate just because most heat sinks that are worth anything use a back plate.  With this being said they do make some that don't have back plates (for example the Thermaltake V1) the only problem with that is trying to find one that is compatible with the AM3+ socket.  Or you could do an all in one water cooling set up like jenova suggested but they use back plates as well.... Perhaps you are asking if there is a fan that can replace the fan on your stock AMD cooler?

Just out of curiosity what case do you have?

I am looking for a CPU fan and heatsink and the 120mm is the space between my motherboard and my case fan

You can look into an ali in one water cooling setup since you have a 120mm fan port.  Otherwise plenty of companies make coolers that has the fans blowing down towards the board (aka short) Cooler master, Thermaltake, Phanteks, Noctua, lots of others.

the 120mm fan ports are my intake and side panel. if i put the radiator on my side panel removal of said side panel will become difficult will it not??

are there any good "short" cpu fans you would recommend? i have been looking at the Alpine 64 PLUS but it doesn't seem like it is any good in my opinion

Noctua makes a few "lay down" coolers that perform very well with chips that are rated for much higher heat then the one you are using.

Have a look and see what one you like. I just posted one link to service them all rather then three so scroll down a bit and sift.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008000+50012454&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=574&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Had a look and the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 seems promising if i can find a way to remove my motherboard with out unplugging everything to install the bracket that is. (i wish i have a case with the holes in the back  :cry: )

I agree because bullet number 2 and the comment by your cpu spec makes it sound like you want a new heatsink.  Which if thats the case then you have no option but to remove the stock one and probably upgrade to one that has a back plate just because most heat sinks that are worth anything use a back plate.  With this being said they do make some that don't have back plates (for example the Thermaltake V1) the only problem with that is trying to find one that is compatible with the AM3+ socket.  Or you could do an all in one water cooling set up like jenova suggested but they use back plates as well.... Perhaps you are asking if there is a fan that can replace the fan on your stock AMD cooler?

Just out of curiosity what case do you have?

Yes i am looking for a heatsink and fan setup. I was already aware i would need to remove the old one and have experience doing so (mainly stock coolers mind). water cooling is not viable as the 120mm fans are my side panel and intake fans. my exhaust fans  are 2 80s

are motherboards hard to remove? i have never removed one before, would i be able to do it without having to unplug most of my components? things like fans are fine but I am not sure about the rest.

Edited by lawzy

are there any good "short" cpu fans you would recommend? i have been looking at the Alpine 64 PLUS but it doesn't seem like it is any good in my opinion

It is entry level cooler, would perform no better than OEM cooler.

Ok so any cpu cooler simular in design is no good then??

Edited by lawzy

Are you saying you don't want to take the motherboard out? Most aftermarket coolers have a backplate that requires you to take the motherboard out. If you can build a system, it's just the reverse of that. Doesn't take to long, either. Just be methodical about it,

Are you saying you don't want to take the motherboard out? Most aftermarket coolers have a backplate that requires you to take the motherboard out. If you can build a system, it's just the reverse of that. Doesn't take to long, either. Just be methodical about it,

yes i am saying i don't want to take the motherboard out but i have come to the realization that that is just fantasy.

which would be better for cooling GeminII M4 or Scythe Big Shuriken 2 or Shuriken 2 Rev. B

what is the rev. B part about?? does it being a rev.b make it better??

looks like im making progress :woo:  

Edited by lawzy