Clock problems, mobo or something else?

skyjam

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was interesting to share with everyone,

I became very frustrated with the FTK setups and bios updaters because none of it seemed to be working. I got so fed up in fact that I called ASUS. After a lengthy talk with the tech support rep he told me that he had no clue why I was missing my overclocking information on my bios that he would have to "escalate" the matter to a higher up so that they can test the issue.... and that was the end of the conversation. Think I will get a call back?

So this matter is still ongoing if anyone else has any other suggestions cause at this point even Asus doesn't know...

Sure I will take a whack at it. What BIOS revision are you running currently. Ivy Brdge CPU's are supported by BIOS 3207 and newer with the latest one revision up at 3509. The best and easiest way to flash is through the EZ Flash tool in the BIOS.

Good catch on the newest BIOS release Coker. I'm pretty sure the OP is running BIOS revision 3207 (the one released in April). Maybe this new release will fix all his problems. Hopefully he'll give it a try.

Yes I have the latest BIOS, 3509. But I'm still missing my overclocking tools (such as turbo ratio), and the bios still won't let me change my clock speed. However, I was talking about it to a Jenova69 and he told me that because I easy flashed the BIOS it may not reprogram it correctly. There is a manual way that I can flash the BIOS in a DOS environment and that is what he suggested trying and I have tried to do so but I keep receiving the message invalid command key??

By the way, wevsspot your link to codemaster's program was very helpful but I'm doing something wrong and I joined HardForum to message codemaster and find out what exactly it is that I'm not doing right. (I'm going to keep trying to do the FTK setup it seems to be a solution)

And Asus never called back today either. :glare:

hmmm.... interesting observation about EZ Flash, although I must say that I haven't ever had an issue with it.

When attempting to flash from the DOS environment are you following the Asus guide for doing so?

Do you mind posting up the exact code string you're using when attempting to flash in DOS?

I don't know and can't assume how experienced you are working in that BIOS, or with overclocking in general, but I'll provide a reference I used when I got my first P67 board;

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

It really helped me understand the basic principles and methods of overclocking on socket 1155 (I was coming from socket 1366)

hmmm.... interesting observation about EZ Flash, although I must say that I haven't ever had an issue with it.

When attempting to flash from the DOS environment are you following the Asus guide for doing so?

Do you mind posting up the exact code string you're using when attempting to flash in DOS?

I don't know and can't assume how experienced you are working in that BIOS, or with overclocking in general, but I'll provide a reference I used when I got my first P67 board;

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

It really helped me understand the basic principles and methods of overclocking on socket 1155 (I was coming from socket 1366)

Well i am using the Asus guide to the DOS environment, but it keeps telling me that I have an invalid command, so I went to ASUS's you tube video on how to do this and it tells me the same exact thing.

And its not that I don't know how to overclock with the chipset its just I CANT overclock, like the BIOS won't allow me to change my clock ratios....

I did call ASUS back today and the rep that I spoke with today told me that I may have a locked BIOS and may have to either send the board in or buy a new chipset with a BIOS version already installed but first I should try to back flash it to a previous BIOS, which is what the FTK and the DOS environment does... I am seriously thinking of just looking for something new and in the area of a Z77 so I can see the benefits of buying an Ivy Bridge anyway

Sorry that you're having so much trouble Sky. Other than the FTK info I provided earlier in the thread I'm at a loss.

Interesting comment by the Asus rep about a "locked" BIOS. I had never heard of such a thing on an enthusiast class board. Replacing the BIOS chip isn't hard and you can find a new one for about $15 or so. But that doesn't really guarantee the problem will be fixed either. You would spend more than that sending the board back to Asus. Maybe there's another member around here that would be willing to slip in another i5 or i7 processor and fiddle with it for a while on your behalf.

Guess if worse comes to worse this is perfect justification to buy new parts :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Wev no there hasn't been any progress Jenova and I tried to backflash the bios but it was to no avail and then we tried to overclock with just the bclk but when in the OS the clock went back to stock. My new concern is that its not the board... is there a possibility that even though my processor says 3570k maybe the processor is actually just a 3570....?