Should I crossfire on single 1080p?

Stealth, please don't take offense to the "lazy" comment. I'm sure that it was in jest.

It was. :lol:

I wasn't trying to be mean but it doesn't take long to get reasonable settings hammered out.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 7950 will stutter no matter what CPU is driving it if you go crazy with the settings on some games...

Maybe at 1440p, but it shouldn't at 1080p. It is only ~5-6% slower clock per clock then a 7970, and I had no issues in most games with a single 7970 at a much higher 2560x1440.

I'm willing to bet if someone with a 7950 and a SB or IB CPU ran the same exact game they would not have the same slowdowns. I can underclock my 7970 to his 7950 speeds and run a same game benchmark at same res if he wants.

Gaming at only 1080p should be a cake walk for a single 7950.

I'd wager its your Phenom processor causing the slowdowns during action scenes, not your graphics card.

Well I just did some testing on CPU/GPU usage and the GPU was 99% utilized while the CPU cores'  utilization were fairly low in the 40-60s. I used HWinfo64 and windows resource monitor. I woudl think it's my GPU is bottlenecking and so maybe a GPU upgrade is the way to go...

I'm looking forward to any review info on the AA performance comparison between a 7950 and 9950 before shelling out $400.

Stealth, please don't take offense to the "lazy" comment.  I'm sure that it was in jest.

up till now i was getting the feeling he was being an intelligent donkey

Stealth, please don't take offense to the "lazy" comment. I'm sure that it was in jest.

It was. :lol:

I wasn't trying to be mean but it doesn't take long to get reasonable settings hammered out.

No matter what if you go crazy with settings things will lag.

well...FWIW, AA is the main limiting factor. The difference between playable and smooth is night and day.

So why not just turn down the AA (or use MLAA) and forget about it?

+1, I rarely even bother with 8x or 16x AA anymore. I don't even really see a difference over 2x and definitely have a hard time over 4x. Unless it's the last thing to turn up, I leave it modest.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

it is logical that your gpu is @99% when playing a game, if it wasn't it was bottle-necked by something else :/

This is not correct, quite a few games do not push the GPU to 90%+ and there is not a bottleneck issue.

As for the AA comment I agree, I have found at 1440 that anything over 2X seems a waste as it is just not noticeable At 1080 I usually run at 2x or 4x at the most. Also a plus for talking about getting crazy with the settings. I find that many of the "Higher" extra settings make next to no real difference in the game experience but put the hurts on the hardware. I have gotten lazy I guess and usually just use the in game settings sliders. The only change to those I typically make is to reduce that AA as many try to put it at x8 or so.

It just bothers me I can't max out AA. TBH, I notice no "jaggies" while I'm immersed in the game, unless I'm looking for them. 

Can you really tell the difference between MLAA or 4xAA over 8x or 16x?

It just bothers me I can't max out AA. TBH, I notice no "jaggies" while I'm immersed in the game, unless I'm looking for them. 

Can you really tell the difference between MLAA or 4xAA over 8x or 16x?

Under investigative scrutiny, a little bit, yes. Granted, neither MLAA or 4xAA over 8x or 16x actually detract my gaming.

Now even though it does bother me enough to consider upgrading to single GPU, but not enough that I would be upset if the new 99xx isnt' compatible with my PSU.