Asus Xonar Xense Sound Card/Headphones Set Evaluated

Nemo

Do you think the soundcard provided makes much of a difference than the HD audio that comes with most higher-end motherboards these days? This set would be cool, but I'm also waiting on reviews for the newer line of Sennheiser Headsets (the PC 360, PC 333D, PC 330), as opposed to the PC 350... which isn't that bad at all.

That looks really promising. I may have to consider that for my next sound card. Though I'm sure using a pair of headphones in it will work just as well, provided you have one with the 1/4" jack.

Do you think the soundcard provided makes much of a difference than the HD audio that comes with most higher-end motherboards these days? This set would be cool, but I'm also waiting on reviews for the newer line of Sennheiser Headsets (the PC 360, PC 333D, PC 330), as opposed to the PC 350... which isn't that bad at all.

Considering the difference I see with my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium vs OnBoard sound, I can see where Steve is coming from.

Considering the difference I see with my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium vs OnBoard sound, I can see where Steve is coming from.

I gave my gf the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium, and I don't notice a difference... but I am tone deaf. :P

Hmm this is looking nice. Maybe for my bday I will get this. BTW, I found upgrading to a sound card great. I tried my headset before putting in the sound card($90 headset and soundcard) and I noticed nothing over my previous headset, put in the sound card and there was a huge difference :)

Do you think the soundcard provided makes much of a difference than the HD audio that comes with most higher-end motherboards these days?

Onboard audio has come a long way, and some of the high-end motherboards use Analog Devices chips for the onboard "HD Audio" instead of Realtek (ok) or VIA (meh)... You can hear the difference between these and high quality sound cards if you have good enough speakers/headphones, and the headphone amp on the Xonar cards doesn't just make the sound louder - it makes it more energetic, lively, and detailed

To answer your question: I used to think the PC 350 was mediocre because I'd only heard it used in setups with onboard audio. With the Xonar quality and amp, the PC 350 is a headset that can provide gaming features without compromising sound performance... if you want an awesome gaming headset *and* you want awesome sound quality, I really can't think of a better solution

Onboard audio has come a long way, and some of the high-end motherboards use Analog Devices chips for the onboard "HD Audio" instead of Realtek (ok) or VIA (meh)... You can hear the difference between these and high quality sound cards if you have good enough speakers/headphones, and the headphone amp on the Xonar cards doesn't just make the sound louder - it makes it more energetic, lively, and detailed

To answer your question: I used to think the PC 350 was mediocre because I'd only heard it used in setups with onboard audio. With the Xonar quality and amp, the PC 350 is a headset that can provide gaming features without compromising sound performance... if you want an awesome gaming headset *and* you want awesome sound quality, I really can't think of a better solution

Thanks hardnrg! I think I have too much ambient sound (or too much sound coming from different sources) for me to tell the difference on my speakers, or on my headset (no noise canceling). I seem to upgrade my audio last (my Sennheiser headset is probably around 8 years old). Now I know what I want for Xmas!