My first gun shall be?

IVIYTH0S

By all means get a .22, it's a real gun in every sense.  The best reason is low ammo cost, around 1/10th. the cost of centerfire ammo.  Many .22 semi autos are picky about ammo and/or need to be broken in, just use the ammo it likes!  .22 is a very versitile caliber, every gun owner should have one.  (or three, or five. :) ) Have fun!

Thanks for the vote!! Any particular models you find favorable??

M61

Lol

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By all means get a .22, it's a real gun in every sense.  The best reason is low ammo cost, around 1/10th. the cost of centerfire ammo.  Many .22 semi autos are picky about ammo and/or need to be broken in, just use the ammo it likes!  .22 is a very versitile caliber, every gun owner should have one.  (or three, or five. :) ) Have fun!

Thanks for the vote!! Any particular models you find favorable??

You've already mentiuoned a few, any of those.  I like single action revolvers best myself, but the smaller semi autos can be a carry gun as well as for practice.  Depends on your budget to a large extent.

I learned how to shoot at the local-ish range with a Colt Huntsman .22.

Granted, I didn't buy it, it is my father's piece but it's an excellent learning pistol, or so I think. It was enjoyable to use with targets.

The first question is...what do you want to do with the firearm?  Are you looking at autoloaders only?  What is the maximum that you're willing to spend?

If you just want an economical (to shoot) handgun, I don't think you can go wrong with a .22 LR.  Ruger makes very good .22's (Mark 1-3, single six/ten, 10/22, 77/22).

I'll probably pick up a Mark 3 comp...but, only after I can find .22 LR locally...  No point in buying a firearm when I can't shoot it.

Rent 'em if you can.  See if you like the trigger and can shoot them decently.  Some people are really picky about triggers, especially with all of the variations, DA/SA, DAO, SAO, etc.   They are very very different.

The first question is...what do you want to do with the firearm?  Are you looking at autoloaders only?  What is the maximum that you're willing to spend?

If you just want an economical (to shoot) handgun, I don't think you can go wrong with a .22 LR.  Ruger makes very good .22's (Mark 1-3, single six/ten, 10/22, 77/22).

I'll probably pick up a Mark 3 comp...but, only after I can find .22 LR locally...  No point in buying a firearm when I can't shoot it.

Rent 'em if you can.  See if you like the trigger and can shoot them decently.  Some people are really picky about triggers, especially with all of the variations, DA/SA, DAO, SAO, etc.   They are very very different.

I wouldn't be terribly opposed to non semi-auto (like a revolver) but haven't looked into them at all. I'm not greatly versed in typicall "good" and "bad" gun pricing for what I'm getting so budget is still fairly open...Hopefully $500 absolute max, and it better be new for that price.

Yeah I haven't heard one bad Ruger recommendation yet, certainly will have to look at those models too.

My friend has been to the local gun store and says they have .22LR there (he's getting the P22) so I'm set like that, or our other friend can order from wherever because he lives in Pennsylvania and then bring it over the bridge lol.

I learned how to shoot at the local-ish range with a Colt Huntsman .22.

Granted, I didn't buy it, it is my father's piece but it's an excellent learning pistol, or so I think. It was enjoyable to use with targets.

Thanks for the recommendation!!

Flamethrower; for when enemy is 'over there somewhere'.

I'll get there :D

You've already mentiuoned a few, any of those.  I like single action revolvers best myself, but the smaller semi autos can be a carry gun as well as for practice.  Depends on your budget to a large extent.

Yeah I'll have to see how everything goes. Maybe my "bigger" gun in the future will be a revolver, because I've always found them so neat.

Double action revolver and DAO pistol triggers are very different than the single action revolvers / pistols.  They're long, sometimes very heavy trigger pulls.  You probably can't dry fire a .22 revolver in a shop (the firing pin will damage the gun).  You can probably dry fire a centerfire revolver to get a feeling for the triggers.

I really like revolvers, but I don't really have a use for one at the moment.  Maybe if I have $$ to burn.  .38 special is pretty cheap to shoot (probably around the same price as 9mm).  .357 magnum revolvers will shoot both .38 special and .357 magnum.  I'd love a S&W 686 or GP100.  Very nice guns :)

You dead set on a 22?

right frank, i was thinking of big number

Go big or go home!

I started with a 9mm and .38 special. Bought an .40 over xmas and am happy with it. After spending time yesterday with a .45 that will be my next purchase. Its has much less whip than my .40 and is almost as easy to shoot as my 9mm. Range time is improving my accuracy.

You dead set on a 22?

Go big or go home!

I started with a 9mm and .38 special. Bought an .40 over xmas and am happy with it. After spending time yesterday with a .45 that will be my next purchase. Its has much less whip than my .40 and is almost as easy to shoot as my 9mm. Range time is improving my accuracy.

well bigger than 22 anyway,...like 41 or 44 or 45 / eh wahtta i know ? schrug

stupid calif is gettin ridiculous to get handguns these days,...whatever you decide to get, get it anywhere but here...

You dead set on a 22?

Go big or go home!

well bigger than 22 anyway,...like 41 or 44 or 45 / eh wahtta i know ? schrug

stupid calif is gettin ridiculous to get handguns these days,...whatever you decide to get, get it anywhere but here...

As bad as they are New York is worse. But then again they share many of the same philosophies........