My first gun shall be?

IVIYTH0S

Sig Mosquito (.22LR)

Heard this is a very picky gun ammo-wise,more so with the first generation, which jams frequently with ammo that the gun doesn't like. They say the new ones, which are the second generation, are much better. I've also seen users saying that once it breaks in it's not as picky and won't jam with some/all of the cheaper brands. Another thing I saw in this gun's favor was that it's fairly easy to breakdown/clean.

Ruger 22/45 (..22LR)

While looking into the Sig I saw everyone recommending Rugers right and left, with the only drawback to them being that they're heavier than their competitors but they're very reliable and accurate.(the SP101 was also recommended)

Makarov (9x18mm)

I don't know why, but my friend told me about this and it just really intrigues me and it looks to have fairly cheap ammo like .22LR. I hear this is a great pistol (as long as it's not the china version) and the good thing is I'd never feel like I'd have to "upsize" in the future.

9x19mm pistols would be also a consideration since they seem to have inexpensive ammo too. (I'd rather not go broke at range, learning how to handle my weapon...so no .500 revolvers please!)

If there's any other guns worth recommending to a first timer, I'd be interested in hearing them. I'm not interested in the Browning Buck Mark(.22LR) or the Walther P22 (.22LR) since my friends have them and I'd want something different, even though they come very well recommended too.

I'll be going to get my papers for my permit next week!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dead set on a 22?

Well for the sake of practice and money saving, it's preferred. If I got another in the future I'd likely get a larger caliber but for now this would be fine for my needs.

So judging by your selection you're looking for a pistol? What is your budget?

Yeah, I guess I never said that but yeah just a nice starter pistol. And I guess the cheaper the better (while not being a POS lol), I'm not up on what a "good deal" is on a pistol but figure the 22's aren't really expensive by gun standards, I think the Makarov isn't too expensive either but again I haven't actually gone to the gun store and browsed since I wanted to wait until I had my permit. The catch with Makarov is that I'd have to likely buy used since I don't think they make them anymore, in which case, I'm hoping the gun store is able to possibly deal with auction sites or private sellers

If your intent is to graduate to further guns down the line (larger calibers), I recommend something that would be considered a "trainer" gun.

By this I mean though its a smaller caliber and not necessarily something you would want to rely on for self defense (not that you couldn't, any gun is better than no gun), its very similar to a typical 9mm or .40 that you might find on the market today. Specifically what I'm talking about here are controls, weight, size and ergonomics. 

Something like the Sig Mosquito would be considered a good trainer pistol, its very similar in controls and feel to a typal 9mm like say a glock or even a Sig 9mm of some type. While a ruger mark lll would not be considered a trainer pistol.

Don't misunderstand me, just because a pistol isn't considered a "trainer" pistol does not make it bad. Arguably the best .22 pistol ever made the Ruger Mark X (1-3) is not a "trainer" pistol, I'm just simply talking about making a decision that is future minded.

Edited by Gr4vitas

If your intent is to graduate to further guns down the line (larger calibers), I recommend something that would be considered a "trainer" gun.

By this I mean though its a smaller caliber and not necessarily something you would want to rely on for self defense (not that you couldn't, any gun is better than no gun), its very similar to a typical 9mm or .40 that you might find on the market today. Specifically what I'm talking about here are controls, weight, size and ergonomics. 

Something like the Sig Mosquito would be considered a good trainer pistol, its very similar in controls and feel to a typal 9mm like say a glock or even a Sig 9mm of some type. While a ruger mark lll would not be considered a trainer pistol.

Don't misunderstand me, just because a pistol isn't considered a "trainer" pistol does not make it bad. Arguably the best .22 pistol ever made the Ruger Mark X (1-3) is not a "trainer" pistol, I'm just simply talking about making a decision that is future minded.

What makes a gun a trainer gun, I figured nearly any 22 could serve that function due to their inexpensive ammo and easier handling.

If I'm understanding you correctly though, you simply mean a gun that may be available in higher calibers and therefore I should become accustomed to that so I'd be able to move up with less trouble. (maybe something like a P226, which'd be a little larger than the mosquito?)

Are there actual pistols that are self proclaimed trainers or is it subjective person to person?

If you buy online make sure you have gotten ffriendly with your local FFL agent so they don't over charge you for not buying from them

I plan to, I hear of the premiums often involved when purchasing a gun in this manner. Though if the store doesn't have something harder to come by (like the Makarov for instance), wouldn't they be a little more understanding?? I just can't see that particular pistol being stocked in most gun stores haha

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Try out an M&P for 9mm. The ergonomics are great and help reduce felt recoil. excellent first time shooter gun above .22lr. if you were get something in .40 s&w you may end up being a little intimidated with it. has a bit snappier shot than 9mm. Put a few rounds through one first before you buy one. As far as a .22lr pistol, check out a ruger sr22. Good safety features and doesn't jam much at all. Have a buddy with one and he has put every grade of ammo through it and it hasn't failed yet*knocks on wood*

Edited by iluvstrats2

Try out an M&P for 9mm. The ergonomics are great and help reduce felt recoil. excellent first time shooter gun above .22lr. if you were get something in .40 s&w you may end up being a little intimidated with it. has a bit snappier shot than 9mm. Put a few rounds through one first before you buy one. As far as a .22lr pistol, check out a ruger sr22. Good safety features and doesn't jam much at all. Have a buddy with one and he has put every grade of ammo through it and it hasn't failed yet*knocks on wood*

Hmm, both look very interesting. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into more them.

Do places let you test their guns out (for a fee of course)?? It's going to be hard to decide with all these highly recommended choices. At the very least I can try my friend's Glock 22 (.40), his Browning Buck Mark (.22) and my other friend will eventually get his Walther P22 (.22).

Yeah 9mm is a good starter for most as before all the new gun control bs started 9mm ammo was dirt cheap

It still is on the cheaper side though right?? I looked lightly online and found that to be the case, considering it's still a decent sized caliber.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

By all means get a .22, it's a real gun in every sense.  The best reason is low ammo cost, around 1/10th. the cost of centerfire ammo.  Many .22 semi autos are picky about ammo and/or need to be broken in, just use the ammo it likes!  .22 is a very versitile caliber, every gun owner should have one.  (or three, or five. :) ) Have fun!