Weapon Time

gebraset

Even though I am not 21 and cannot purchase a hand gun in my home state or here in Texas, I am looking into getting a rifle, perferabbly a .22. I really don't want to spend more than $150 or $200 but cannot find many weapons around the area for purchase. There are no Cabella's down here and no Gander Mountain, but obviously Walmart is around. Anyhow, what .22 would you guys recommend for a first time rifle buyer (looking for semi-auto) and how much are they? Is there anything in specific thing I need to look for or things I need to stay away from concerning rifles?

Thinkin about something like this? http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Remington_Model_597_Rimfire_Rifle_Package&i=GM443619&r=view&from=grid

Edited by gebraset

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10/22s aren't horribly accurate right out of the box but the aftermarket parts are neverending, though there are quite a few other options for .22 that are just as good/better.

Though I'd forego the scope to start off with, it is better to be profecient with the stock sights and then add a scope on late than to rely on your scope.

Yeah, after some research it seems like the 10/22 is about as good as it's going to get for my price area, even though they sell for about $279. I'm trying to see if my family has a rifle I can have, but no telling how that will go, lol. Does anyone here have experience with the 10/22? And also, I agree that it would be good with the stock sights, then move onto a scope. I have also seem a plethora of addons available for the model.

I have no idea where some used guns are around here, which is incredible. I have found about 5 stores, 3 of those being Walmart, that actually sell rifles and handguns here in El Paso, but nothing used. Once the 10/22 goes on sale at the place I'm looking, I'll probably pick it up. Though I have a couple questions about it. What is the difference between all the models besides the stock material/color? They have the Tactical 10/22 at the shop and I like the look, but also like the 10/22 Carbine look, though I have no idea the technical differences and cannot find the Carbine edition anywhere. Also, I see no rail on the Tactical version for a scope, where in the world would you put one onto it?

What type of other rifles that are semi-auto would be good to look into besides a .22? I've shot many weapons, but have never looked into owning one until now. So, pretty much a noob at the matter, lol.

Edited by gebraset

find a gun store and just go look and see what you can find....

I have a real old JC Higgins 22 semi-auto... its old and I had to replace the spring for the loader but other than that its dead nuts accurate...I think this riffle was sold at Montgomery Wards or Sears back in the day but its smooth shooting and sounds as quiet as a pellet gun....

I also got a short .410 O/U .22LR that a really love...thats made by Savage...

Considering that you are not that far from El Paso, I would look at the local newspapers for gun shows in your area. Here, in DFW, there is a gun show about every 2-3 months somewhere. Should be the same in El Paso - probably even more so considering you are in west Texas. Also, you might want to take a look at the Ruger/Winchester/Marlin/etc WEB sites to see what you really want. If this is your first rifle I would recommend a Marlin Lever Action. Great first rifle and you can't waste shots like you would with an automatic. Also, look at Amazon.com. You would have to get someone who is 21 to actually order it and it would have to be sent to a local gun dealer near you, but, you could get what you want. Keep in mind that at a gun show there is no paper work.

I found a lot of accessories for the 10/22 on Amazon, so I appreciate the info! I was wondering how I would put a scope on it, lol. I think I'm going to grab one once it goes on sale here! But the question remains, what is the different between the Tactical and Carbine 10/22? I saw the spec sheet, but don't see much different besides the obvious muzzle brake.

Why not used? You could find a nice Marlin model 60 on one of the auction sites for less than $150 and it will be a tack driver. I love mine, those 10/22's don't tempt me at all.

Why not used? You could find a nice Marlin model 60 on one of the auction sites for less than $150 and it will be a tack driver. I love mine, those 10/22's don't tempt me at all.

I'm not aware of any used gun shows going on, and past shows, I don't know where to purchase one used from a dealer. Everywhere I have went so far they all sell new guns, nothing used. I did see a new marlin down here though, they wanted I think $179 for it? Wasn't a fan of how it looked, but have not heard much about them in all reality. And I don't think you can put a scope on them either?

Have you checked pawn shops for used guns also there are multiple online sales sites. From what a coworker has told me the online places have to send the gun to a local shop in your area to be licensed to you and some of the gun shops tend to be rude when this happens since you didnt buy it from them.