Your Sound Equipment

Fogel

I saw this thread was still active and got around to taking some more pics of some of my pieces.

Krell kav-250a/3

img0467yl.jpg

Audio Research Reference 110

img0469r.jpg

Audio Research Reference 3

img0470e.jpg

Edited by Black64

Nice Krell amp you have there.One day I would like to start a nice 2channel set up.

Have you heard a difference with solid state amps compared to tubes?

Tube amps sound much, much more natural to me. I prefer tube over solid state any day for listening to almost anything, but I have had some issues with them, like shipping them is a pain and I have had one die.

Tube amps sound much, much more natural to me. I prefer tube over solid state any day for listening to almost anything, but I have had some issues with them, like shipping them is a pain and I have had one die.

That is great to hear.I will give tube a thought when searching for used gear on Audiogon.

Home Theater: Front Mains- Klipsch RF 62's; Center channel- RC 62; Surrounds- RSX 5's; Subwoofer- Elemental Designs A3-300 down firing discontinued production.

Yamaha RX-V663 reciever 90 watts per channel, Emotive XPA-3 amp 200 watts of good clean watts per channel for my front stage. The Yamaha takes care of the surrounds. Its the perfect size for my living room.

If I ever build a house I will build 5 Cornscala's( the best of Klipsch Cornwalls and Klipsch Lascala's integrated in one speaker) and a sub. Emotiva pre-amp and a XPA-5 amp and life will be even better.

Tube amps and reciever are alot more richer/warmer than solid state. Really hard to beat. Depends on the speakers they are pushing.

I would like to add: You can have the best speakers in the world , but if they are not positioned right and set-up right, they not doing anygood or they're fullest potenial. Also I've heard that your ears get used to the sound that your system puts out , so it sounds pretty good after awhile.

Edited by peshewah

Tube amps and reciever are alot more richer/warmer than solid state. Really hard to beat. Depends on the speakers they are pushing.

I would like to add: You can have the best speakers in the world , but if they are not positioned right and set-up right, they not doing anygood or they're fullest potenial. Also I've heard that your ears get used to the sound that your system puts out , so it sounds pretty good after awhile.

All very true. These are key for a excellent sound experience.

When clipping, yes (which you shouldn't be doing anyway). Otherwise - if you can hear a difference between the two then one of them isn't doing its job correctly. Any amp that colors the sound in any way isn't amplifying the signal faithfully.

When I was working at this consignment shop, we had tons of vintage audio coming in all the time. I started gaining an appreciation for the older equipment and how natural it sounds.

I have a logitech Z-5500 system, that I can never use (due to people complaining about the noise even when the volume is pretty low) Which is why I haven't really invested into some nice gear yet. The one thing I did buy recently is a new turntable though, which is amazing...

Eventually I think I would likely build two systems, one for the "theater experience" and one for enjoying music. The store I was working at sells a lot of McIntosh amps, older Klipsch speekers, and pretty much any audiophile would have a we dream over. The sound that some of the older stuff produces is amazing considering. We often think that with all this technology that trying to get music to be perfect is the key, in reality that is far from the fact.

As my favorite rock god Dave Grohl said at the Grammys this year:

"We made this one in my garage with some microphones and a tape machine… Singing into a microphone and playing an instrument and learning to do your craft is the most important thing for people to do. It's not about being perfect, it's not about what goes on in a computer."