Intel's Haswell May Be Last Interchangeable Desktop CPU?

dr_bowtie

AMD should have a nice opportunity here, if this is true.

I'm already set if it is true :teehee:

I doubt it is, however. If it is does turn out to be true, I think Intel would probably offer a special version of the chips for system system enthusiasts/builders. It would seem illogical to virtually hand a segment of the market to their competitor even if it was fairly niche.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the face of it it doesn't sound too good but how many enthusiasts actually buy a motherboard that they stick with and keep changing the processor?

Overclockers and benchmarkers may suffer but everytime I've upgraded it's involved a new processor and motherboard to keep up with the latest chipsets and memory. I don't intend upgrading my i7 920 next time, it'll probably be processor, motherboard and memory.

Edited by paulktreg

On the face of it it doesn't sound too good but how many enthusiasts actually buy a motherboard that they stick with and keep changing the processor?

Overclockers and benchmarkers may suffer but everytime I've upgraded it's involved a new processor and motherboard to keep up with the latest chipsets and memory. I don't intend upgrading my i7 920 next time, it'll probably be processor, motherboard and memory.

I think the biggest issue is with replacement as well as motherboard variety.

Don't forget that sometimes someone wants to build a new computer but the processor they want isn't out yet, so they build the computer with a less-desirable CPU and wait. Also if you build a computer at the beginning of a new socket and like the motherboard or don't want to go through the process of replacing the motherboard, being able to switch out the processor for a newer, better one is a good deal.

Alienating the enthusiast market would be a stupid move on Intel's part.

It would, this was from the last line:

However there's speculation that Intel will still provide CPUs in LGA packaging for high-end desktop platforms only.

So if its cheaper low end products for people who don't do DIY upgrades then maybe its possible? probably not but you never know.

If Intel do go the limited enthusiast route how many mobo makers will be left then?

If it also mean prices drop how that affect to AMD where price and GPUs are their main strengths - just GPUs then?

Perhaps Apples completely walled garden has mutated into a corporate virus.