How to get RAM on maximum Frequency

batman123

Hello,

I'm a noob on RAM O.C so i need some help.

I have a 2x 4Gb 1600Mhz Vengeance on a Gigabyte G41MT-S2P. By MOBO specifications i got that the maximum Frenquency of RAM is 1333 if Overclocked.

I downloaded CPU-Z and i see on the RAM tab, this informations:

DRAM Frequency: 533.3Mhz

FSB:DRAM : 5:8

CL: 9

tRCD: 9

tRP: 9

tRAS: 24

tRFC: 127

CR: 2T

There is anyway to increase the memory Performance?

I tryed to change the MCH to 333 (The maximum i can) and than i got 2 option on SPD, 3,0B ou 3,6B... I did 3,6B but the CPU-Z tells me the DRAM frenquency stills the same.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

Hello, memory support for your G41 chipset is native 800/1066 and *1333oc ddr3, and MB will support 45nm core 2 multi-core processors with FSB 800/1066/1333.

I'm guessing you have a 1066 FSB processor running at stock settings, so your memory will run at 1066 which is the 533 you see in CPUz,. You would need to overclock your processer and raise the FSB and your memory will go up as well.

there are some overclocking threads and useful information in the overclocking section you can read so you understand what you are adjusting and the settings best left on auto, and you will have your ram running at 1333 in no time.

Good luck

Edit: check out the Community Overclocking Guide just above your post, it is full of information and covers all the basics. if you run into something you need help with after reading information, just post back and we will get you rolling, please include which processor you are using.

Edited by Braegnok

Thanks for your attention Braegnok, thats right, the memory Clock goes up when i increase CPU Bus Speed. But what is better, Higher core speed with High multiplier and low Bus Speed, ou Lower Core speed with low multiplier and high bus speed?

Annd let me ask you one more question, I modified a lot of values when trying to get RAM hight frenquency, should i get it back to defaults? Or just modify something, take a look please:

10xt5dl.png

Thanks again.

Edit:

After some tries, i got the conclusion that i can choose between 3 values for multiplier: 6, 7 or 7,5. With any of this values, the max I can put in Bus is 340, more than 340 i got boot failure. What causes the boot failure? Something I can do to get BUS higher without getting boot failure? Maybe changing voltage?

Edited by batman123

Yes, start back at default settings, the memory "Other Timmings" is one of the items best left to auto till you fully understand how each setting affects your memory.

The 545mhz shows your memory is running at 1090mhz now. I would need to know which processor you are using to advise on setting FSB Frequency adjustments or V-Core.

Your boot failure is most likely due to other settings you adjusted, as CPU FSB of [340] X [7.5] is only 2550 MHz or 2.5GHz

So reset to default and let me know which CPU your running.

hahaha nice triple post.

I'm running a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 (Yeah it's bad but hardware in Brazil is too expensive :P)

One more thing, one Defaults, i have the option of Optimal defaults, on VGA I can choose Extreme defaults, Turbo.... Should i use any of this or just use the Normal Default?

Well, wait for your help about this :)

Edited by batman123

Shure, go ahead try normal run a benchmark and if everything is nice and stable, go for the turbo and run same benchmark, see if you get any improvment or stability issues. You can always go back to normal default. I use a notepad and copy down all my BIOS settings then as I adjust them wright it down, so you can go back, and when you make adjustments only do one at a time so you can quickly tell you screewed up, you will know exactely what to change back. Till you get the hang of it, you will be a pro in no time. have fun thats what overclocking is all about.

Well, after some research, it's true that with G41 chipset i can't get high FSB?

On my, the max i can get is 341, but I find some people that get 365, and this affirmation :"You to to high PCI-E and do more things"

Can you help me on this? I can put what Value to PCI-E? Actually it's on Auto. My VGA is Asus Geforce 9600GSO.

Edited by batman123

Use [100] that is safe, for your PCI-E. setting it @ 100 keeps your MB from over volting when in Auto.

The Q8300 Yorkfield is not a bad chip, it is all FSB overclocking and your G41 with a Gigabyte motherboard is fine, no two chips will clock the same, and no two motherboards will either.

You should be able to get 3600MHz on the Q8300 @ 1.2875V  1066 or 1333 ram would be best but try these settings. Good Luck. :thumbsup:  

CPU Voltage = 1.2875V  which is default VID for Rev. RO

Load Line Calibration = Disabled

C1E Support = Disabled

Intel Speed Step = Disabled

FSB Frequency = 480 X 7.5

NB Voltage = 1.41V

CPU PLL Voltage = 1.56V 

FSB Termination Voltage = 1.26V

FSB Strap to NB = 333

All other settings on Auto

F10 and Save see if she boots windows.

For a good read with lots of information go online and check out, "C2D Overclocking Guide for beginners-Home-Clunk.Org.UK"  clunk is one of the best and one of the craziest when it comes to C2 or P4 chipsets,

if you see a monkey sticking a fork in a wall outlet, that's his thread. Spend some time reading ALL his guides. And you will have a vary good grasp on every aspect of overclocking any 775 socket processor. Enjoy

Edited by Braegnok

The G31/G41 chipsets are economy, entry level chipsets, unless you get really lucky you will not be able to push the FSB Frequency past 360MHz.

I was hoping your G41 would go a little higher then 340MHz,  If you want to play around with some 800MHz P4 chips, PM me your address and I'll send you a 2.8GHz and a 3.2GHz processor, you will loose two cores but the 800MHz hyper threaded chips will be more fun to overclock on your G41 rig.

I don't use them any more, and they are yours if you want them, cheers :cheers:

Edited by Braegnok

The shipping would be more expansive than the processors, I'm from Brazil  :)

I have and P4 3.0Ghz here, so I'll try to have some fun with it, while I don't buy some new Hardware.

By the way, on April my Sister is going to bring me some Hardware from NY, do you have any suggestion for good and not to expensive MOBO, Processor and VGA? PLease something better for O.C haha