Extending the life of my current build

Scott P

Common sense looks like it will prevail. Upgrade to at least 8 GB of RAM, a 256 GB SSD (prices are hitting $150 for these) and a 1TB+ drive. A new CPU cooler would be nice I guess. The price seems to be right on that CM unit.

The wife ended up with a refurb HP Envy from Microcenter. It has an i5-4430, 12 GB of RAM, 2 TB drive, a card reader and USB 3.0 front and rear and Windows 8 (upgraded to 8.1). All for $499. I don't think I could build a similar machine for that much. It is a basic H81 chipset, but for her needs, it will work. It's the first pre-built desktop I've purchased since 1994. Photoshop Elements is the toughest program that machine will ever see.

Scott P, on 06 Jan 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

Common sense looks like it will prevail. Upgrade to at least 8 GB of RAM, a 256 GB SSD (prices are hitting $150 for these) and a 1TB+ drive. A new CPU cooler would be nice I guess. The price seems to be right on that CM unit.

The wife ended up with a refurb HP Envy from Microcenter. It has an i5-4430, 12 GB of RAM, 2 TB drive, a card reader and USB 3.0 front and rear and Windows 8 (upgraded to 8.1). All for $499. I don't think I could build a similar machine for that much. It is a basic H81 chipset, but for her needs, it will work. It's the first pre-built desktop I've purchased since 1994. Photoshop Elements is the toughest program that machine will ever see.

I agree %100, 12 gb of ram, 2 tb hd, an i5, plus the os, as much as I hate to say it if you don't play high end games it is cheaper to buy prebuilt. :yucky:

• 3 weeks later...

I finally placed my order today with the egg.

Crucial M500 240GB

Mushkin Blackline 8 GB (2x4)

Noctua NH-D14 Cooler

WD Blue 1 TB

I've won a PSU and Memory from Mushkin before here and at DFI-Street, so I chose to stick with them. I also won a NH-L12 from Noctua in last year's Christmas contest, so I spent some extra money to go with them. I'm looking forward to seeing how well it runs fully upgraded.