Personal wifi network?

kennethk

The people I live with are very anal about their wifi passwords so they wouldn't let me change the password, (It's a ridiculous long one) however I did run a ethernet cable from the router to a port switch in my bedroom, would it be possible to install a wireless router onto a port switch?

We get about 50mbps wired so speed wouldnt be a problem

Any reason you want to run your own router other than their long password? It's saves the password for you after you do it once.

You can connect a second router. It may come at the cost of some speed. You will also have the issue of double NAT if you things port forwarded.

Any reason you want to run your own router other than their long password? It's saves the password for you after you do it once.

You can connect a second router. It may come at the cost of some speed. You will also have the issue of double NAT if you things port forwarded.

Yeah I just want to be able to control my own wifi and be able to memorize short passwords It'd be easier on my devices and me lol. Cant I find a cheapo router out there?

You should be able to add a router just fine. You may have to change the starting IP Address on the router if it happens to match up to something else on the network. Other then that you should be able to sync up pretty easily. I have done this in the past makes things a little easier and you don't have to fight for use of other peoples routers.

You should be able to add a router just fine. You may have to change the starting IP Address on the router if it happens to match up to something else on the network. Other then that you should be able to sync up pretty easily. I have done this in the past makes things a little easier and you don't have to fight for use of other peoples routers.

Exactly lol, glad someone else around here knows the feel, port switches are great arent they?

As long as they allow you to run a cable thats all you need to make your life easier with your own router :)

You can get some cool stuff from Ampedwireless that have routers that connect over WiFi if you can't ever get a wire :)

Patience is a virtue....and in this instance a coupon ;)

I'll let you know when my TD comes in...I was thinking about getting another TD bundle.