2560x1600...put the hurt on my 7970

IVIYTH0S

So I'm thinking of upgrading!

I'm thinkin' a used 290X I can get $235, or a new GTX 970... as a card I like the 970 more (efficiency being the biggest, and gimmiX being a bonus) but the cheapest is THIS for ~$330. It's hard to justify the added efficiency for $95 more dollars.

What do you all think? I'd similarly go for a 780Ti if I could find one as cheap as these cards but that's not going to happen.

I may try and overclock my 7970 one of these days to see all she's got but I have a feeling this isn't the card to have for 2560x1600 lol

....OR the new contender would be a second 7970/280x in CF (whichever'd be cheaper). Since that seems to be the overwhelming most recommended solution!

VOTES:

GTX 970:  0

R9 290X:  1

Crossfire 7970s:  4

COST BREAKDOWN:

GTX 970:  $330-($120-$150)+$12 shipping of sold card=$192-$222

R9 290X:  $235-($120-$150 sale price of my card)+$12 shipping of sold card=$97-$127

Crossfire 7970s:  $100-$150

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheapest route would be to add a second used 7970, but it will limit future upgrade ability. I run dual 7970s @ 1100/1500 and they can still pretty much max anything at 2560x1440. They are not very power efficient, but are still powerful cards by todays standards with a bit of an OC...and they scale well to two.

With the recent price cut to $299 NIB for 290x's I am getting to the point where I am thinking about upgrading, but I would need two of them to beat my crossfire OC'd 7970s.

I've got a water cooled 7970 GHz edition on the relative cheap if you want to go that route!  

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

(Lol I hope you were joking though...unless you meant to CF :P )

Cheapest route would be to add a second used 7970, but it will limit future upgrade ability. I run dual 7970s @ 1100/1500 and they can still pretty much max anything at 2560x1440. They are not very power efficient, but are still powerful cards by todays standards with a bit of an OC...and they scale well to two.

With the recent price cut to $299 NIB for 290x's I am getting to the point where I am thinking about upgrading, but I would need two of them to beat my crossfire OC'd 7970s.

You recommend CF'ing? How long have you been running two 7970s? How has your scaling been?

It was an option I didn't bother considering TBH... I'll have to scope out my case spacing to see if it'd even be wise to consider lol. I suppose if I'm considering a likely reference 290X than I can't really complain about any heat or noise of a CF configuration :teehee:

Edited by IVIYTH0S

What are you running that puts a hurt on it? I didn't have any trouble at 2560x1440 with my 770 (or the 780) and the 770 is a bit slower than the 7970 in most games...

I've got a water cooled 7970 GHz edition on the relative cheap if you want to go that route!  

You recommend CF'ing? How long have you been running two 7970s? How has your scaling been?

It was an option I didn't bother considering TBH... I'll have to scope out my case spacing to see if it'd even be wise to consider lol. I suppose if I'm considering a likely reference 290X than I can't really complain about any heat or noise of a CF configuration :teehee:

Its water cooled but yep was looking at $100 for it. but we can talk if you like.

yea, i never had a problem with cf'd 7970's when i had 'em in here....they did a fine job at max everything...

What are you running that puts a hurt on it? I didn't have any trouble at 2560x1440 with my 770 (or the 780) and the 770 is a bit slower than the 7970 in most games...

At the moment, the new Tomb Raider, which I started in 1920x1200 maxed and then 2560x1600 I had to turn down somethings (still looks great but imagine this isn't even a particularly hard title, not to mention it's an AMD optimized title). I suppose I could just deal and then see what next game I play (which will VERY likely be older than Tomb Raider, since that's my newest game in both date of purchase and date of release)

Its water cooled but yep was looking at $100 for it. but we can talk if you like.

Self contained water? I don't run any custom loops of water, I'm all air over here.

yea, i never had a problem with cf'd 7970's when i had 'em in here....they did a fine job at max everything...

Is that a vote for CF from you too?

Crossfire it up! :banana:

Or failing that, turn down some settings so you can run your games at the big res. :P

I already DID turn down some things, which is what got me here :P

But is that a soft 4th vote for CF?

I love how not one person has recommended a single card but rather CF from everyone... I guess i oughta add that to the main post.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

The prices of a used HD 7970 is pretty good, around $110 sometimes. For the price, it's definitely worth to crossfire.

That being said, when I moved to a R9 290X, I was flabbergasted at how much powerful it was. Two overclocked HD 7970's in Crossfire was only 30% faster than a single overclocked R9 290X.

But then again, two overclocked R9 290X's are only 30% faster than a single overclocked GTX 980.

Somebody needs to update their for sale thread lol.

The prices of a used HD 7970 is pretty good, around $110 sometimes. For the price, it's definitely worth to crossfire.

That being said, when I moved to a R9 290X, I was flabbergasted at how much powerful it was. Two overclocked HD 7970's in Crossfire was only 30% faster than a single overclocked R9 290X.

But then again, two overclocked R9 290X's are only 30% faster than a single overclocked GTX 980.

Lol I can't tell if you're endorsing the 290X or another 7970/280x for CF :P