mobo/cpu vs SSD vs GPU upgrade

Il_napoletano

ok..as it's my birthday next month, and I'll be getting some money..

so I'm looking to upgrade something on my current rig(in the sig...don't worry stoner i've got you covered :D)

-Gigabyte P35-DS3R

-Core 2 Quad Q9300 @3.2ghz(everyday) and 3.34Ghz(benchmarking) WC

-8GB Geil Evo One DDR2@ 890mhz CL5

-MSI NX8800GTX 768mb WC

-WD raptor(sys) and Segate 320gb(slave)

-Rosewell rt550 turbo series (but will be getting the kingwin 1000w lazer back as soon as we get some 24pin extensions)

-Windows 7 Ultimate x64

but I can only afford ONE upgrade :(

either

CPU/MoBo(i5 or i7)

GPU(probably would be a 4870 x2 or gtx 550ti)

SSD(still looking...probably a Vertex 3....either 1x 120gb or 2x64gb in raid 0 "to get more speed"..as I don't have sata III)

which one would be more worthwhile?

I play TDU2...and do medium-heavy photoshopping..

I know upgrading my GPU will give me better FPS in gaming..and photoshop uses it in openGL rendering

a SSD will shorten my loading time, speed up my OS and my photoshop speed(scratch disk)..

and upgrading my CPU/MOBO will help me use the above to their full potential...no bottlenecking

so what do you guys think?

thanks

edit: forgot budget..I will be getting around $120...but I can add more if it is CPU/MoBo

Edited by Il_napoletano

Tough choices. I'd go with a CPU/MB. I don't see anyone improving on SB/IB that much. It will last a good couple of years (I'd say maybe even 6 years, which is a lot in this era).

Graphics cards and SSD prices are dropping, so when you get more money, they'll most likely be cheaper. CPU/MB prices don't drop that much.

Tough choices. I'd go with a CPU/MB. I don't see anyone improving on SB/IB that much. It will last a good couple of years (I'd say maybe even 6 years, which is a lot in this era).

Graphics cards and SSD prices are dropping, so when you get more money, they'll most likely be cheaper. CPU/MB prices don't drop that much.

+1

Agree - MB/CPU upgrade

Wait till IB release so prices come down because right now $120 won't cut it ...which means you will be putting in at least that much of your own money.

An i5-i7 will last longer than a 550Ti. Even though I'm a video card man I'd have to go with the CPU/mobo. The 550Ti isn't that amazing and the 4870x2 is hot PSU demanding and doesn't support DX11.

Does Photoshop benefit from HT? All I know is that it crunches on RAMs. If it does benefit, go with i7. If not go with i5 + more RAMs :D

Mobo, you can't go wrong with most really. If you're on a budget, get the ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. If you can afford more, go with something like the ASUS P8Z68-V/V Pro or Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R/UD4

:cheers:

Does Photoshop benefit from HT? All I know is that it crunches on RAMs. If it does benefit, go with i7. If not go with i5 + more RAMs :D

Mobo, you can't go wrong with most really. If you're on a budget, get the ASrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3. If you can afford more, go with something like the ASUS P8Z68-V/V Pro or Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R/UD4

:cheers:

so the z68 chipset is the best?

and what socket are i5 and i7? if multiple...which are the best ones to get?...and I will be OC'ing...as high as I can without crazy Vcore :)

edit: I know it's completely off topic...but is it better to have your fans on the top mounted 240mm rad ..A.pushing up(air from inside) or..B. pushing down(air from outside)??...thanks

Edited by Il_napoletano

You're upgrading to SB/IB right? Then it's socket 1155.

IMO go with the newer Z77 if you can afford them. It's essentially the same as Z68 but with newer/better features. The reason being, although both Z68 & Z77 supports IB, Intel's history of EOL would suggest that the half-year old Z68 would be discontinued soon. The Z77 boards would have a longer support period at this point so why get an older board really? They're similarly priced since the Z77 boards are supposed to replace the Z68 boards.

I hope you get what I'm trying to say..

edit: I know it's completely off topic...but is it better to have your fans on the top mounted 240mm rad ..A.pushing up(air from inside) or..B. pushing down(air from outside)??...thanks

If you follow the laws of physics, it's only sensible to push the air up as hot air rises while cold air drops. In actual use though, I can't be of much help.

The most common configuration is this one: A big fan or 2 normal fans push air in from the front bottom of the case. Fans on the top back of the case that push out hot air, reason being that hot air is lighter than cold air and thus rises above colder air.

From what I read, unless you use premier pro you won't need more than 2 cores for photoshop. Just a lot of ram. I say stick to i5.

Here's a discussion thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/283745-10-photoshop-cores

They suggest that a good nVidia card,however, does account to serious performance gains.

so I've been looking around at the i5s and the ones i'm thinking of are the 2500K or 2550K....

does the K mean unlocked multi?

and would my ram run on a Z68 board? (G.skill F3-10600CL8D DDR3 1333mhz CL8 4x2GB)

thanks