Intel Core i7 4960X Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it turns out Around 4.5 to 4.6 is the point at which most people were able to reach so now I dont feel so bad about the 4.4Ghz clock I settled on! 4.5 can be done but the added juice is not worth it! 

but ze feels man, ZE FEELS

its almost the same as having a 3.9/3.95ghz overclock you wanna break that 4.0 ghz :P

I believe you are talking from experience Mr-I-have-a-760-at-4.0GHz :D hahaha

That thing seems so densely packed that just might be the reason for it to overheat this much.

The extreme versions usually were about high overclocks.
It needs all the bragging rights at this price point! :teehee:

I believe you are talking from experience Mr-I-have-a-760-at-4.0GHz :D hahaha

I had a different board and i5 a while ago (sadly needed to sell it because of financial reasons), and i was stuck on 3.8ghz, i couldn't live with myself, every time i see my specs and need to type in 3.8ghz, it just wasn't good enough for me. Even tho i know it will have minimal impact on gaming, its the thought that counts xP

last year i traded my laptop for this machine i have now (originally there was a gtx 280 in there and 4gb ram, upgraded 1 month later)

now i haz finally 4.0ghz >:3

Edited by WarWeeny

The extremes are exactly that, they are meant for people with money to blow that want to say they have the best of the best. Okay well let me also add that there is a legitimate use for these chips but it is purely in a work environment with high end rendering. For home users and gamers the only reason to buy these is to cover feeling of inadequacy or compensate for a mid life crisis.

Now wait a min are you talking about me? :rtfm:

No and I will tell you why. Like myself you get some really nice and expensive toys to play with and only a fool would not play with them since they are essentially free. However if you had to go out, spend your own money to buy a computer for gaming or everday use that was purely on your dime and only for your personal use and enjoyment I doubt you would spend this much money on a chip.

And why do you think he started the site? :P

Of course it was to provide a high-quality destination for overclockers to come to and discuss the latest hardware, and other computing news. Right boss.

I didn't start the site, however, I have been known to get a little carried away sometimes LMAO.

Wow, really? Always thought Bosco did start the site, and that's what "senior admin" meant.  :lol:

The site was started by the original owner in 2001, in 2002 in really started to take off, I should up just at the end of 02 but didn't join until April of 03 god I feel old lol.

In my opinion, CPUs are powerful and expensive, even more powerful then what is needed and outrageously overpriced, I am just gonna stick to the high-end last gen CPU's and save some serious $$$. My i7-970 is showing no signs of giving up, with ample power in my most CPU heavy apps.

:cheers: I'd like to get my hands on a gulftown but am completely happy on my 920...god do 6 cores and 12 threads at 32nm sound good though and they're only like $300 or less now!! (with my 920's sale I probably can get that to like $150ish out of pocket)

I'll stick to my 3930k . It not much slower and half the price . it was a chunk of change oringally but well worth it if you do more than just gaming.

Same here, theres not enough of a performance increase over my 3930k to warrent upgrading (that and I have too many systems at the moment and dont need another one...cause if I have an extra chip setting around i would have to build another system around it anyway)

(i7-3930k, i7-3770k (x2), i7-2600k, i5-2500k, i7-980x, amd 1090T BE oh and a mac pro)