Who Knows?

Ok, so here's the deal, gentlemen and ladies.  My 2011 Sig Rig is boring me and my cousin needs a new one.  I don't do computers anymore as a main interest, so I have been out of the loop.  Mainly I just use mine to trade equities and play video games when it pleases me.  I am thinking of building her a new comp with my old stuff and then building a new one for me.  So, I am searching now for my own new build.   I want to keep my powersupply and peripherals and start from there.  I have been cruising the web for info on whats up in the world of PCs, in order to make some informed choices.  What I have discovered is that it seems the world of PC Gaming rigs is a Jungle these days.  A large Jungle. There are so many choices. 

What I have learned is that getting a new 4k monitor in say 32" sizing is an expensive proposition.  I have also learned that pushing out a 4k rez for gaming purposes requires a lot of GPU power and Memory to get the job done well.  I have also learned that next gen intel chips will help power the new resolutions quite nicely.  Not here yet!!! :no:

I have used both AMD and Nvidia products as well as Intel, over the last 17 years.  Right now, I will only use Nvidia and Intel.

So I have come to realize that if I build a new rig this month it will not really push a new 4k monitor for gaming that well.  Even the 4k monitors that are out there are not really that great for gaming yet, imho.

So I build a rig this month and all the new hardware comes out from Nvidia, AMD, Intel, Monitor manufacturers etc. And I am an instant antique. Are we really at the end of the old and the beginning of the new cycles?  I mean it seems that all the new PcHardware and Monitors are kind of coming together at the same time.  Some time this year or will  it be 2016?

If any of you were going to build a new "premium" comp this year, what would you wait for in new hardware and what Monitor resolutions would you want to play with?

I have a 27"  Planar I run at 1920x1080.   I would enjoy a 30 or 32 inch screen with higher resolutions and the hardware to push it at 60 plus frames per sec.

Money is not a real problem.  Wasting money is a problem.

I would like some discussion and hopefully learn about what is coming and when.  I would like some opinions on high res gaming.  2560x1440, 2560x1600, vs  the new 4k. 

I wouldn't go 4K just yet. The main problem with 4K atm is the color density, i expect that in 2016-ish monitors and tv's caught up with the color standard of 4K.

Personally, I would play games on 2560x1440 and a 32"-sized screen would be nice and would you last through this gen with ease.

About the PC thing, i would go for the new intel platform (5xxx series of intel, 6 and 8-core respectively) and the new DDR4 RAM, although you wouldn't see much improvement from going 1833MHz, to 3600MHz DDR4, maybe in some RAM hungry programs, but for gaming, it is not really noticeable.

For the video card, i heard pascal is going to be badass (NVIDIA), but that won't see a release date somewhere 2016, AMD however, if the rumors are true, has a video card upcoming with a terabyte (!) of bandwidth.

If you want to buy parts sooner, rather than later, i would recommend the GTX 970, it is insane for its price (i know, money isn't a problem, but this is just too good not to do tbh) as a video card option.

The Intel 5xxx series processors are out already, so no worries there as well.

I am firm believer that 16:10 is the master race of aspect ratio for computer monitors and as such I am sporting a 30" 2560x1600 monitor that my 7970 fights its hardest to keep running smooth haha.

So obviously I'm partial to going with a GTX970 or GTX980 and maybe a Korean 30" 2560x1600 (or name brand if you find a good deal). It's probably the sweetest point of size/resolution/good performance bliss.

Other than that just a 4790K (or 4690K) and a motherboard with all the connections you'd want and just reuse your memory and cooler

I'd go with something like this for the system: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TP2499with something like this for a monitor

Edited by IVIYTH0S

24" 4K @ 60Hz

27" 1440P @ 120Hz

30" 1600P @ 60Hz

All IPS monitors with good input lag.

I still play most of my games at 1600P, mostly because there's no good games out there that's optimized to handle 1440P at 120Hz. Most of the good games seem to not require much, and are optimized just fine with a single card at 1600P. Go figure.

However, playing first-person shooters at 1440P with a 120Hz capable monitor, it's such a nice experience.

From all the stuff that came out of CES, 1440P IPS monitors at 144Hz with G-sync or Freesync seems to be the next thing coming.

Ah, this is good thanks, I kind of wanted to get an idea of what other gamers were using.  I had initially gone to pcpartspicker, and built a system that I thought was nice and then changed a few things.  Looking around the web I noticed the few sites, that I go to, had tested out some 4k monitors and that just opened up a can of worms for me.  So if we are not really going to get any major upgrades to VidCards or cpus, then I will just go ahead and see about a 30 or 32 inch in 2560 x1600, and sit on it for a couple years.

I think this time I will take a few shots and give my build on the forum.  See you all soon.

since games are finally making use of more than 1 core, combined with cores being used in the backround, then as long as you have 4 cores you should be good to go and there will be no bottlenecking of your gpu.  Occasionally there is a game that is dependent on cpu speed, but even your current rig's cpu should be sufficient for anything out there.  Also, everything I have read concerning today's ram memory speeds says that it doesn't make a difference in gaming.  Doesn't matter if it's ddr2 or ddr4 (although the changing of the cpu to compare this would).

I wouldn't jump on the 4k bandwagon yet either.  My 1200p still looks beautiful and 4k will cost a lot.

http://www.computerforum.com/169570-bottlenecks-how-i-learned-stop-worrying-just-buy-gpu.html

basically says, that for gaming, you should invest your money into gpu and a big as moniter lol

Edited by Fight Game

Well, I just read that the latest release date for Broadwell Desktops will be between July and September.  The early, for PC manu's and the latter for us.   Broadwell and DDR3 starting on Z97 boards, but I would imagine there will be some new chipset designation for Broadwell by then with more slick features that we will just have to buy.   Learning this just made me re-think my choices for a CPU and Mobo.  I think I will now go I5  and a cheaper Z97 board and then Upgrade again later this year when the new release hits. It looks like Nvidia is happy with the 900 series gpu and we might not see a completely new gpu until 2016. Oh, sorry, its because they can't get a wafer produced because Apple and AMD have taken all the early slot times for production. Nvidia comes last.

There are several 30 inch 2560x1600 displays for not so much money, Im gonna run with one of those until this 4k thing matures not just from a monitor side but also the hardware side.

Well, I just read that the latest release date for Broadwell Desktops will be between July and September.  The early, for PC manu's and the latter for us.   Broadwell and DDR3 starting on Z97 boards, but I would imagine there will be some new chipset designation for Broadwell by then with more slick features that we will just have to buy.   Learning this just made me re-think my choices for a CPU and Mobo.  I think I will now go I5  and a cheaper Z97 board and then Upgrade again later this year when the new release hits. It looks like Nvidia is happy with the 900 series gpu and we might not see a completely new gpu until 2016. Oh, sorry, its because they can't get a wafer produced because Apple and AMD have taken all the early slot times for production. Nvidia comes last.

There are several 30 inch 2560x1600 displays for not so much money, Im gonna run with one of those until this 4k thing matures not just from a monitor side but also the hardware side.

Can't wait to see what you cook up, don't leave us outta the loop!

This is what I have so far >>>>>http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jfw3Bm,   http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Yamakasi-2560x1600-Computer-Monitor/dp/8918010656/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FGQSG6JTQ2FA232NHT8  .   ----  I will use my old parts to fill in the rest for now.
Any difference between using 4x4gig sticks and 2x8g sticks?
I am putting together a water cooling scenario now for the CPU.

Edited by Kwok

Do you mind to wait a little bit for the 5th generation of 1150 socket CPUs to come out?

4-way video cards are always more preferable in my opinion.

I heard people said things like the next generation of i5 motherboard platform will come with DDR4 instead of DDR3.

These are just my idea.

Edit: i5 motherboard, I meant 1150 socket motherboard.

Edited by VicVic

Thank you Vic, Actually I am a bit pressured to build a new system. My cousin lost her desktop at home.  I kind of promised that she could have mine for free when I build a new Rig. That was at Thanksgiving.  She has been borrowing her Daughter's Laptop, which doesn't always workout so well. :rolleyes: This had been going on for a month now.

If you wait for the next big launch you will always be waiting.  So I went ahead and built my gaming system using both Intel and NVIDIA. Used a 4960X , Rampage IV BE, 32GB of memory and a pair of Titans to try and run 4K. I have not put it on the 4K monitor yet but run through a 27" G-Sync monitor its a pure pleasure to play games.