AMD APU in 2015?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what games are you wanting or trying to play.... I've got Gen1 and 2 APUs and they do alright for "basic" games with an SSD drive but i dont try things like COD on it....

Cod isn't heavy lol, the 7850K can do battlefield 4 on high xD

But i just want some extra oomph on my APU. The 7850K just didn't make it for me, a 30% faster in gaming and it should be good to go for me tbh.

Just about every game that gets released really. If it is from ubisoft i am not even getting it lol, they don't know how to make pc games properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get why you'd even consider an APU for gaming.  The new higher end apus are expensive, so money is better spent on an Athlon and a gpu.  I just pieced together a full rig for under $400usd last week that would be better than any apu build.  

- oops just saw how old this thread is-  :blush: 

Edited by RedFury77

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

This may not be of any help, However,  Looking at motherboard combo's you probably would get a better deal. If you look at places like Fry's or Microcenter you should be able to get a great deal and probably end up with a better

system than you might have thought you could afford. For AMD the A series APU's are reasonable on price, just make sure you get one that has at least a 6000 to 8000 series on board graphics chip. As far as motherboards, ASUS and Gigabyte are generally the better motherboards, I'm sure someone will disagree, but I can only go by experience and not an allegiance to a a particular brand.

The only thing I wish would happen is that AMD motherboards had the same builds as the intel boards, I find the intel boards packed with options that AMD boards just don't have, especially in the sound arena. The best way to know what AMD will put out this year is to go to the AMD website or Anandtech which does in-depth reviews on processors, motherboards and other computing platforms and products. If you go to Fry's and sign up for their promo deals, You can get great deals and maybe you can then see a way to get a better video card.

I don't know what your budget would be, but if you have limited resources, I would look at purchasing a motherboard/cpu combo. I believe at Microcenter you can get a AMD series cpu with a very good ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, motherboard for under 250.00 and in some cases well under 200.00. I think you can even find a FX6350 and Motherboard for well under 300.00 and then spend the rest on a decent video card. You mentioned DDR4, That may be great memory, but when you have to pay 300-600 dollars for mem, that's getting just a little bit crazy. If I can't get 16gigs for under 200.00 then It stays in the store until the price comes way down, even if I had the money, I wouldn't spend that much for memory ever! Anyway, I'm sure you can find some good deals. Forgive me if this was not on topic, Just wanted to give you something to think about and hopefully you can actually build a system you may not have thought that you could.

Hope you have a great day!